Can you figure it in you’re head ? Or just a calculator ? Lol?

how complicated are we talking here?  I do a lot of stuff in my head.  I use calculators a lot.  sometimes I do it in my head then use a calculator to verify.  Just the way thing are.

A lot of third grade was adding up long columns of numbers.  I know the times tables very well up through 10x20.  In the Caltech planetary sciences section, I noticed that the grad students were all good at mental arithmetic, even though they went to school in the age of calculators.

• Cei

When I went to school we didn't have calculators. The first calculating device I was taught to use was my brain. Eventually we were allowed to use slide rules (Google them) for really complicated maths.

My first job was in a pub where we had to add up the total in our head, no fancy till to ring it up in that totalled it for you. Believe me when your dealing with up to 6 orders at once and having to keep track of the totals your mental arithmetic ability really improves.So yes I can figure it in my head.

FYI - calculators get the answers wrong.

Try 2+3X4 and the calculator will tell you the answer is 20. The correct answer is in fact 14.

• TomV

Any algebraic entry calculator that adheres to PEMDAS rules will calculate 2+3x4 = 14. That includes every one I've ever owned as well as the built in app in Windows and my Android smartphone.