My dvd player won't play dvd disc only play vcd and cd?

Your DVD player uses a different laser to the one it uses for CD/VCD. Bluray players need three lasers.

All the lasers are usually incorporated into the same laser head assembly and the lasers don’t last forever.

If yours is a high-end DVD player from a top-tier manufacturer then it *might* be possible to buy and install a new head assembly if you have some experience of dismantling and repairing electronic devices.  But spend a few dollars on a cheap and simple laser head cleaning kit first and try that, although it probably won’t work.

Otherwise it’s going to be cheaper to just replace the entire machine: you can now buy decent BluRay players for what budget DVD players used to cost although some BluRay machines (and some modern DVD players) do not play VCD as that was never an “official Blue Book” CD design standard. As your current player still works for those it’s no real problem.

My toaster thinks it is a VCR, I don't even have any tapes for it. Thanks it has been fun sharing.