Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 2 months ago

What to say when guy calls himself fat?

I just started seeing this guy and we’re in college and he has talked a lot about how he’s gained like 30lbs from fast food or whatever and how he used to be super active 

He has said stuff like “Watch out! Fat boy on top” (when reaching for phone and had to practically lay on me), “I’m what you call overweight”, “I’m fat”, “My gut is huge”, etc etc

Now he’s a little chubby, but nothing crazy. I personally think he’s super cute and I’m into a lil chub. So while I know he’s being lighthearted, I also know that he must be a little insecure about his looks (cause he also calls himself ugly). 

I don’t know what to say because yes, he is chubby, but it’s in a way that I find very attractive. I feel like if I don’t say anything, then the silence is saying “yeah you’re fat and ugly! Lol” and that’s not what I want him to think. 

I’m chubby myself, maybe about the same or a little more or a little less than him. So it’s also that him saying that he’s fat also makes me sooooo self conscious in the moment cause I’m like “is he thinking about my gut too?? Is he thinking about how fat I am??”

What should I say to him when he says stuff like this?? 

• Favorite Answer

Guys don't do offhanded and surreptitious comments.  We're too blunt to be subtle.  So I promise you that he's not making some cryptic remark about your weight.

If he says anything about his weight, or how he has gained weight, then slap your stomach and say, "Well, welcome to the club.  There's about 100 million of us.  We meet at McDonald's."

Apparently, he has body image issues. Many of us do.

Tell him you like it...

Jesus, take a breath. He might be fat but you go on a bit, don't you? Just tell him not to say self-demeaning things about himself, tell him that's your job.