How long did Voyager 2 take to get to Uranus from Saturn? Also, how many miles was this trek?

V2 reached Saturn 26/8/81 and 1 Billion miles farther on 24/1/86 at Uranus

Source(s): About the only interesting picture of Uranus

The radius of Saturn's orbit is 891 million miles, and the radius of Uranus's orbit is 1784 million miles, so the distance from Saturn's orbit to the orbit of Uranus is around 893 million miles.

NASA says the time between the vehicle's closest approaches to Saturn and Uranus was 4 yrs 152 days.

What bothers me about this is that the average speed of Voyager 2 is said to be 42000 mph, which should have taken it TWICE as far in 4.4 years.  Hmm, I don't know the answer to this apparent contradiction.

LATER:  I figured it out.  It turns out that Voyager 2 did not go from Saturn "straight out" towards the orbit of Uranus.  Instead, Voyager 2 was turned in its course, to head for the actual PLANET Uranus and get pretty close.  It should be obvious that such a route could be much, much longer than the direct distance between the nearly-circular orbits of Saturn and Uranus.

Closest approach of Saturn by Voyager 2 was on August 25_ 1981 and Uranus was on January 24, 1986. That is 4 years and 5 months minus 1 day.   https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/frequently-asked-ques...   

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/missions/voyager-2/in...  

The distance for Voyager 2 between Saturn and Uranus was greater than the minimum distance between the orbits because both planets are constant moving and they are not on the same side of the Sun. I didn't take the time to look up Voyager 2's velocity in miles per hour when it left Saturn anx divide it by the time, converted to hours, to find the distance Voyager 2 traveled. 

If you want to do detailed research, either do the research yourself pr pay a consultant to do the research for you. Why should my time and knowledge be exploited. 

It went the other way and it took five years.