Can I sue my private middle school for severe psychological abuse?

I endured severe psychological abuse from teachers at my private Catholic school. As a result, I have been diagnosed with clinical depression and debilitating anxiety which has, for the most part, ruined my chances of living a normal life. I’ve been on medication for years and have spent over $10,000 on medicine and medical treatment. I have evidence and many witnesses to the abuse. Can I sue?

If you do it right, sure....  Your one paragraph was too vague though, no one can give you a realistic answer.  I can give a long general / great answer.  Many states give schools a better statue of limitations.  In California it is 2 yrs.  This is true in many countries - so timing matters.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/chicago-schools-staff-th...

(I am not a fan of "news") but teachers abuse people alot so do other students. Things you will need to answer:Exactly what kind of psychological abuse?  How frequent, how chronic (long term) and how severe.  It was just teachers, not students?  The details would be needed for each incident.  What are ALL symptoms today just depression/anxiety (it matters). Can you document inpatient stays(during, after school  or now) along with C-PTSD/PTSD or possible BPD.  If not you need to get on that.  While MDD ("clinical depression") is a real thing it lacks legal significance/"teeth".  The term "anxiety" is simply too vague - Lacking legal significance too.  How long have you been unable to work for?  How have you been eating, buying clothes/shelter?  Who forced you to endure the abuse (someone forced you to go to school & ignored any complaints).  How many times did you or the witnesses contact law enforcement about the abuse or school staff?Was there any abuse/trauma before school?  At home with family/friends in relationships now?  Is there still abuse or negative people?  A School’s Duty to Protect YouTo ensure students receive adequate protection, the courts place upon school administrators and teachers a legal duty of care (obligation).This duty of care means schools must do everything reasonably possible to protect their students from foreseeable harm, injury, and death. This includes providing a safe environment for students.Authorities must repair or eliminate dangerous conditions in a timely way and make sure students receive proper supervision while they’re on school grounds, on school-provided buses, and while they’re off school grounds during school-sponsored, extracurricular activities.It helps to understand some terms used by lawmakers and insurance companies:“Duty of Care” means the school’s obligation to protect the children under their care from harm.“Negligence” happens when a school administrator, teacher, coach, bus driver, or another employee fails to act responsibly or does something no reasonable person would do.“Liability” means responsibility. The negligent school system is usually liable for the injured child’s damages.“Damages” for a child’s injuries include medical costs, out-of-pocket medical expenses, and pain and suffering. Children with permanent injuries may also seek loss of future wages and future medical expenses.Listenforyou@protonmail.com(all questions above were more rhetorical)......Sure you should sue.  This is pretty uncommon.  It is probably more frequent with women.  I've personally seen female teachers being the worst to other female students (oddly).  There is a "gender gap" in schools with more women.  Frequently women can "pressure" male teachers into things as they see them daily. This changed and destroyed your life - it is not your fault.We know that 3-6 months of abuse causes trauma.  How long did yours go on for?  People who hurt you should be responsible & punished.  With lawsuits though usually the teachers, people or students who actually hurt you 'go free'.  You never get closure with that & often they keep doing it.  At least though the school now knows and does something for you.I'd start making a plan - 50 pages longer than this of all the things that happened, symptoms, expenses, incidents, hospitalizations, types of illnesses/concerns you now have and more.

You can try, sure.

• Bruce

Sure, you can sue. But can you win? That would require you to prove their negligence was the sole cause of your mental health, and you would have to successfully explain why the condition ruined your chances at a normal life. Nothing you mentioned does either of those things. 

• Caro2 months agoReport

I definitely can. I have medical records, countless witnesses to the abuse, and evidence of the abuse.

First thing to do is speak to a proper lawyer.

• Bob

yes, talk to a lawyer.

Yeah, but if you lose the lawsuit, forget I said anything