Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Friends bf is huge ahole?

I have a friend who cannot do basic tasks, and neither can the bf. They both act like he is the smartest person to walk the earth and often say things about him being the smartest person they know, infront of others. They can't do necessary paperwork, keep jobs, clean their home or even spell. 

Both insist they should be on disability, (maybe for mental issues imo), but they're both perfectly capable adults with no issues other than whatever is happening mentally.

They have psychically taxing hobbies that would not qualify as disabled. I try to distance myself but they're Always asking for favors and rides, money and to be bought things from everyone. They're the type to order the most expensive thing off the menu if they know someone else is paying. Its maddening. 

I'm at my wits end here, anytime I speak to them it's all about how unfortunate things are for the bf and how the world is out to get them, and 'he's such a genius if someone would just give him a chance' also hes a pervert. What should I do? Wish I could make them see how awful and entitled they act. My gf says to leave it be and not bother but it's really got me through the ringer, they didn't use to be this awful. 

There's nothing you can do. If you'e not thrilled with these people, then don't associate with them. It's not rocket science.

You need to change your focus to yourself, not sit around thinking about other people. Maybe you need to learn this tactic?

• Stella

You can't change other people.

You can only change your reaction to them.

Stop letting them take advantage of you.

"Sorry, I can't help you with that" is a useful phrase.