Mini-Fridge Troubleshooting?

Recently I bought a mini-fridge with a freezer from a peer who no longer needed it. It is a Whirlpool 2018 model. It's only been used for a little over a year. There were no issues with it before and when I brought it to my apartment it's been having trouble maintaining the temperature for the fridge and freezer. The mini-fridge has always been kept upright, and my room is not hot. The temperature gauge is not set too warm. I've filled the fridge and freezer with water bottles to help stabilize the empty space. When I've turned the mini-fridge on, it keeps running and reaches the proper fridge and freezer temperature but then will start to warm up again while still running. I've read through the manual and researched my eyes out. I called customer service and they basically told me to buy a new fridge. I don't think a year old mini-fridge would just die like this. Any idea what the problem could be?

Favorite Answer

Most likely due to a refrigerant leak, a failing compressor, a bad thermostat or a bad condenser fan if it has one.

Pull the plug and remove the bottom panel on the back of the fridge. Check if the condenser (coils) has a fan.  It it has one,  set the thermostat to the coldest setting and plug it in.  Observe if the compressor turns on and the condenser fan turns on.  Check if the condenser fan is turning when the compressor is running.  It should be running when the compressor is running.  Check if the compressor runs until the fridge gets very cold.  If the compressor stops when the fridge is not yet cold, the thermostat is likely bad or the compressor is overheating due to low refrigerant.  You can try a hard reset, turn off the fridge for a day or two and see if it works.

If everything checks good, refrigerant pressure is likely low or the compressor is failing.  And the customer reps are right, you just get a new one.

• Kelly2 months agoReport

I see. I'm going to pull the panel off later to today and see if there's anything up with it. If not, I'm just going to get a new one.

Get it serviced & maintained regularly

Check to make sure the fins in the back are clean and that there is good air flow.

Now you know why he sold it.

Look at the door seal and be sure it is closed so you cannot pull a piece of paper out .  If you got a gap, that is where the cold is coming out of.

• Kelly2 months agoReport

I've checked, it's not the door seal.

• ioerr

if you know anyone that works in hvac repair you could talk them into troubleshooting it for you.  could probably be a few different things. 

if you actually paid an hvac guy to do it, that could maybe cost enough to make it a better deal to just get a new one, maybe sell that one for parts

• Kelly2 months agoReport

True, thanks for the input.