jessica c asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

15 year old cat with pancreatic issue?

I was wondering if maybe a veterinarian or cat owner has gone through this

My cat went to the vet the other day . He hasn't eaten or used the liter box in a week. He's lost 3 almost 4 pounds since last year. He sounded like he had a cold as well. Sneezing and sniffling.

What I've heard from the vet that I could understand is He has fluid in this chest on steroids to help with that as well to allow him to eat. Luckily he started eating only treats but it's something. He's on a laxative to allow him to go to the bathroom . He's peeped not pooped and was told he is anemia, no regenerative bone marrow, and red blood cells. Also his pancreas levels are high. Does he have pancreatic cancer or pancreatitis? Am I allowing him to suffer a long painful death or could he get better. 

It's time for a Heart to Heart talk. The vet won't make that decision for you. Ask the vet what it is & what your choices are Both pancreatitis & cancer are painful. It may be time to say your good byes.

• Ocimom

Only your vet can tell you the answer to the question if its cancer or how much longer and what his quality of life is at this point.  You need to discuss it with him/her.  IMO I'd consider putting him down humanly as this is the age where lots of things go wrong and its just a matter of time before it gets worse.

ok-If I were you I'd try to think of someone I knew who kind of understands medical stuff--and then ask them to speak to your vet for you--call the vet and explain that you really did not understand what you were told and could they speak to your friend who understands these matters.  then let your friend translate for you and explains it in a way you understand.  then write it down so you can google it later.  or just up front ask the vet to say it all in "layman's terms".  Medical jargon can be confusing-and when you are upset about your cat being ill sometimes it is difficult to process information (I have that issue)  writing it down helps.

• Ken S

To determine pancreatitis there is a test that can be done called a f pli test

To fight pancreatitis the best thing is a raw food diet specially prepared. You can learn about that here www.catinfo.org

The sneezing sounds like a URI that has gone untreated, Have antibiotics been prescribed?

Have you tried feeding chicken,turkey,ham. plain chicken broth? Have you tried meat baby food no onions? You can also try warming up canned food and putting some parmesan cheese on top for the smell

Good luck

• Maxi

All your questions you should be discussing with the vet that examined him, phone the vets and ask if you could get their advise

15 years is a good long life and at that age, recovery from so many issues will not be like it would at 10. I would want my pet to have a quality of life as well as not be in pain.

There are NO VETS on this site and even if there were, they would not be able to diagnose your cat online and would have to physically see your cat.

If you have any questions about your cats diagnosis, treatment or quality of life, then you need to call and ask to speak directly to the vet, who is treating your cat, since he or she knows your cats medical history and current situation, better than any of us would.

• PR

I would take him to a second vet for opinion. Wondering why they have given him steriods if he has fluid in his chest? When our cat had fluids around the lungs, they gave him lasix, or other similar medication, although they did not mention a pancreatic issu. I thought steroids would make that worse?

Go to a vet you can understand and is telling you what is wrong with the cat, and what you can expect with the treatment. Take any tests that have been run, along with you. I would not wait through the weekend, or you may end up going to the emergency vet for a very expensive treatment.

• jessica c2 months agoReport

The steroid is supposed to help with the fluid but more importantly to help regain appetite. I think I'll call them tomorrow and speak with the head of veterinarian medicine there. Maybe he will be able to explain better.

These are all things you should call your vet and ask them. 

• jessica c2 months agoReport

Those are the answers my vet gave me. They didn't say he has cancer flat out. Only his pancreatic levels were high, enema, no regeneration of bone marrow.