Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 2 months ago

How do i tell my parents im dropping out of college?

I haven't applied for next semester and there is no point as i already have a sap warning and i am at risk of losing financial aid next semester. I still wasted around $5000 out of my own pocket since financial aid did not cover the entire tuition. I don't see any point of wasting my money anymore since im not even trying. How do i politely tell my parents i don't want to continue anymore?

• nancy

I would say that before you do that, you should give some thought to why you're not even trying and see if there isn't a remedy for whatever the problem is. Most colleges are very concerned about students dropping out before they complete their degree and being stuck with debt with nothing to show for it. So, whatever the issue is, there's almost certainly someone who can help. Are your classes too difficult, or you chose the wrong major? Talk to your academic advisor about perhaps changing majors or taking a lighter load. Social or mental health issues? Talk to a counselor at your school's health center. Dorm problems? Talk to the RA or the head of Housing. Problems with a particular professor? Talk to the dean of the department. don't like the school itself? Talk to the Registrar about the steps to take to transfer to a different school. If you let someone know what's bothering you, you may find that there are solutions that you didn't know about that can help you stay in school and benefit from the investment you've already made. Even the SAP problem may have a solution. Most schools have an appeals process, and if approved, you may be given probation so you can stay in school with financial aid while you work to improve things. If you have already tried to resolve the problem and still want to leave, then the best way to approach your parents is to just be straight with them. Tell them what happened and, if it's just that you were lazy and didn't do the work, then take the consequences and move on.

• Laurie

Just tell them, BUT ... have a constructive alternative to offer them:

“I am not going to school next semester. Instead, I am... joining the military/have been hired to work at the tire factory/will be attending community college to become a registered nurse ... whatever.

Tell them that you realized your future is in fast food and other minimum wage jobs.

• drip

You just tell them. And have a plan. Start applying for full time jobs right now.