Dude asked in HealthDental · 1 month ago

What is a white bump on my gums?

I went to the dentist recently and forgot to mention a very small bump (maybe a few millimeters large) I noticed on my gums toward the bottom of my gums.

She took the usual x-rays (the full 360* panorama one) said that she saw no cavities and no abscess (no gum infection either) then proceeded to the usual cleanings I get every six months. 

I have made an appointment to see her again in a few weeks, but till then does anyone have any idea what it could be since Google seems to only have THE worst case scenarios (and like many self diagnosed patients are usually wrong) I noticed the bump almost six months ago and I am kind of freaking out.

PS It has not caused me any pain.

Corsodyl original mouthwash treats gum problems, available from some pharmacies.

Tonsil stones maybe? Is it far back? If so it might be

It could be nothing. If you've had it for 6 months and you're sure it wasn't always there and there isn't one on the other side, you do need to get it checked. It seems odd that your dentist wouldn't have noticed. But you should check it. If it is the worst case scenario - and it maybe nothing - it's probably still NOT going to be something you're going to die from. However you do have to address it. Maybe it's nothing. Here's the real issue - things in your mouth fall into the black hole in terms of insurance. Your health insurance doesn't believe your mouth is part of your body and your dental insurance probably has a pretty low cap. Anyone that doesn't believe health care is an issue in this country has never fallen into the black hole. So if you DO need to get it removed and biopsied, and they do have to dig around and you need any kind of temporary bridgework - PAY FOR THE FIRST ONE OUT OF POCKET because your health insurance will only cover one and the temporary one is much cheaper than the permanent one. So what you'd be up against if it were to be bad, is not so bad in terms of your health but is bad for your pocketbook. And if it does turn out to be cancer - then you need to switch dentists because she sucks if she's not poking around your mouth and checking for these things. 

i would ask your dentist, and if you post this on healthtap.com a real doctor will email you back

I don’t believe it harmful. My father is a dentist and when one of the patients mentioned a white bump, I remember he said that dentists don’t really know why they show up, but they go away for a while. I’m not sure if this is exactly what you’re talking about (as I don’t believe it says for six months). But, ideally, you should check in with your dentist and see just in case that nothing is wrong. It’s very unlikely you have a serious problem if there’s no pain.