Erik asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationCamping · 2 months ago

Is it ok to wash BBQ grill griddle plate in a lake or no?

I live in the states.

So I m wondering if it is ok to wash a small grill plate in the lake when i m done BBQ. I won t wash the whole set, just the grill plate.

I am having doubt is because I didn t see or saw any sign saying i can or can t do that. So i just wanna to ask u guys before i do it, just so i don t violate the law or ruin the lake. I didn t ask the ranger is because i didn t want them to think i already did it and then give me a tix or something.

The lake is in a state park. And they have designated BBQ area.

The lake is very big, it's called Donner Lake in CA, and people do swim and play in it, including me. 

• Jerry
    4 days ago

No, you don't use a lake or river as a sink or bathtub. You take water out of the lake or river and use it away from from the lake or river. You dump the dirty water or soapy water on the ground well away from the lake or river. Other campers could become angry if you use the shared lake or river as your own personal kitchen sink, your own personal bathtub. That spoils things for others. 

A general guideline is to ask yourself "Would it be OK if every camper was doing this?" Obviously it would be bad thing if dozens, hundreds of people were washing dishes and taking baths in the same river or lake. So it's better if everybody does NOT do that. 

You need to wash the whole Barbeque as seriously dangerous moulds grow on the fat residues left behind.

And washing in the lake is dangerous to the resident wild life and a  very lazy and stupid way of cleaning a grill.

Besides which not all bacteria is killed by the heat on a barbeque.

To totally sterilize it you need higher much higher temperatures.

Why don't you just haul water from the lake?  The grill is going to have hydrocarbon residues that may prove to be pollutants for aquatic life.  Wash the grill on the land and rinse it there also.  The hydrocarbon residues will not present as much of pollution issue and will eventually break down

I would do it as the heat  of the grill should  kill most germs.  I regularly  gather oysters and wash them

in the Intracoastal  Waterway and eat them raw  followed  by a cool beer.

It is getting harder and harder to find oyster beds now due to growth and

pollution of waterways.

i wouldnt do it if youre not sure, i would ask the ranger, theres nothing wrong with asking questions