Can the social security administration deny my physical disability despite discrimination?

Let's say someone was on vacation and they broke their arm in a different country, when they came back to the U.S they tried applying for disability but where denied because it didnt occur in the U.S. Is that possible?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • reme_1
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You really need a lawyer to get disability as they can deny you. Even with a lawyer you have to wait a long time: I had to wait a year without working. Thank goodness My mother lived close by as I had to sleep on a cot in her living room for that time.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Judith
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Social Security doesn't give two hoots and a holler where a disability began.  However a broken arm won't be approved for the simple reason that the disability must be so severe that you wouldn't be able to work for at least 12 months.  Under age 50 you must be unable to do ANY type of work.  Age 50 or older you must be unable to do the same type of work you've done most in the 15 years before becoming disabled.

Heck - even if you lost you arm you wouldn't be approved - a person must lose the use of TWO limbs to become approved for social security or SSI disability benefits (unless a person had a different severe disabling problem).

So no - it isn't possible that a claim would be approved OR denied because something happened outside of the US.  

I was a social security claims rep for 32 yrs.

• 2 months ago

Social security administration does not ask you where your disability began. It doesnt even require proof it exists. ( though that would be one way in some situations) It demands evidence of treatment of symptoms and anticipated failure to resolve whatever ways it prevents you from being employed for a year or more. A broken arm would never meet that criteria.

• 2 months ago

you might still be able to get it, you'll just have to wait and see

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

you don't get SS for a broken arm.  SS is only for disabilities that are expected to last at least a year.

even if you have a permanent impairment in that arm, there are jobs you can do with 1 hand.  unless you are at least 55, you would be expected to train for a new job.

but no it is nonsense to claim you could be denied because it happened in another country

• Jay
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Of course they "can". They "can" do anything. Including making you "disappear" just to save them the trouble of dealing with you.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i wouldnt think so

Lv 7
    2 months ago

A broken arm does not qualify you for social security benefits

• Judith
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

A broken arm DOESN'T qualify anyone for disability benefits because a disability must be expected to last at least one year.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.