Anonymous

I am on Social Security Disability. If I get a part time job for $7.25 an hour, will the government cut off my disability check?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Judith
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Depends upon your MONTHLY earnings.  In 2019 average monthly earnings of $1220 or more will eventually terminate your entitlement to disability benefits because earnings of that amount are considered to be gainful employment.  In 2020 it will be $1260 a month.  Just make sure you never earn more than $1260 in any one month.  Social Security disability benefits aren't reduced due to earnings; you are either entitled to the entire benefit or none at all.

If you get SSI disability instead of social security disability you are required to provide proof of your earnings every month since half of what you earn over $85 a month will reduce your SSI benefit. Example:  You earn $500-$85=$415.  Half of $415=$207.50.  Your benefit will be reduced by $207.

I suggest you download the pamphlet "What you need to know when you get social security disability benefits."  Another pamphlet "Working while disabled: How we can help."  Both are online.

I was a social security claims rep for 32 yrs.

• David B
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Make sure you do not make too much, that sounds like fraud to me. Great Advice, Judith!!!

• Login to reply the answers
  • PAMELA
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It may, getting a disability payment would seem to say that you cannot work, you will have to ask them if you can take any sort of work.

• 2 months ago

If you are on ssdi you can work parttime (30 hours or less) at that wage. If you are inaccurately calling social security disability for SSI - entirely different rules and your ch3ck will be reduced. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

After social security disability people find out that you're able to work they may reduce your check from social security by the amount that you have proven able to earn if you're getting for instance $800 a month and you prove to social security that you can earn $400 a month by maintaining a part-time job good luck once you get laid off or fired getting back your $800 a month! You have already proven by maintaining a job that you're able to work and the whole purpose of disability is money because you can't work do you really want to take that chance?

• ...Show all comments
    • jannsody
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

It's my understanding that people on disability may technically work on a part-time basis as long as the pay isn't above a certain level.  However, at any time, ssa may deem that the person has reached "gainful activity" and is no longer "disabled."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • reme_1
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Talk to the social security office. You are allowed to earn a specific amount before they start deducting from your social security. It is also important that your pt job doesn't show that you are physically fit enough to work FT. .

• David B
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Wouldn't want to show an ability to support yourself??  That is fraud. Taking welfare tax dollars from others would be  theft!

• 2 months ago

you can earn up to 1220/month this year without losing benefits...if you are slightly below, that may flag you for further review when they do a re assessment.

so 20 hours/week won't be an issue, but 34 hours might.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Under the tax proposal that democrats want, most of your income will be used to provide healthcare and housing for illegal immigrants.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.