Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 2 months ago

Twisted ankle question? ?

Yesterday I missed a step and totally rolled my foot over and twisted my ankle. At the time I thought I broke it I was on the floor wailing but ended up picking myself up. It’s sorta swollen and really sore when I turn my foot but it’s ok when it’s flat/normal. Walking is sore as well but I can manage. I’m assuming it’s just a twist but it hurts a lot more than any other time I’ve twisted it. I don’t really want to drag myself to the doctor if it’s nothing. It should just be a twist right? 

RICE for a few days. If it doesn't improve at all, go see a doctor

Since you can walk on it (even a little) it isn't likely broken.  You can bind a cloth around it, like the boy scouts use in first aid, to help support it.  Go to youtube and search for "how to Immobilize an Ankle With Triangular Bandage".  There are other ankle support wrap techniques there, too.  

Either side of your ankle, there's a lump sticking out.  Squeeze your ankle just above the lumps and just below the lumps.  If your ankle is broken, you will have just crashed through the ceiling (and should see a doctor).  If you're still with us, it's most likely a bad sprain.  Binding it tightly with an elastic bandage will make it more comfortable.  If it's still painful after a couple of days, see a doctor.

How would we know

• Frank

Go to an ER and get an X-ray. If there is broken bone...and it starts to mend INCORRECTLY...it will have to be REBROKEN to get reset properly. OUCH!

Yes give it a few days