Anonymous

Does a charity doctor exist?

I wanted to become a civil engineer for developing countries but my parents don't want me to do engineering so I'm considering pursuing  my other passion in a medical profession such as a doctor. I wanted to be a OBG/YN or just a general practice doctor.

However whatever career I do I want to directly help developing areas/countries. I researched this ,but information fell short. I don't want to be stuck in a hospital and instead want to see that I am making changes, even if it is a simple as a child in a remote area getting vaccines.

Do any jobs exist of this job description or do you do a job of this description?

Feel free to give me advice or tell me abou4 your experience.

(I'm 13 years lf age)

I have the grades and determination for these jobs. 

I'm not concerned about how much I earn, I don't mind volunteering, I was just wondering if there were any actual paid jobs with such description.

Favorite Answer

You can do it, but not really as a job for a doctor.

There are organizations of doctors that do that sort of work for free (and sometimes have to pay their own travel expenses, so they lose money), which means that most of them can only do it a few weeks a year as a hobby or vacation, and have to work at a real job the rest of the year. The most famous is Doctors Without Borders.

There are also health workers who travel around just giving vaccines, but they are usually not doctors (nurses and pharmacists can vaccinate). Also, they don't make very much money, and the work in dangerous places where they sometimes get murdered or die from diseases that are rare in more developed countries, such as malaria.

• Judy

Doctors without Borders. It's volunteer.

• Stoo

Such jobs do exist and you're over a decade away from getting them.

Plus charity work doesn't pay well, so prepare yourself for that.

• John

It will be many years before you need to make that decision, but that's OK. Doctors without borders is the most prominent such place. There are lots of local clinics in the world, too. There's an old doctor (I mean old, like he's 75 or something) near us who opens up his clinic after hours. He charges $100 cash per visit, doesn't accept insurance. And he will refer anything over his abilities to other services.

And, over the next 5-8 years you will change your mind a lot.

Sure.  There are lots of opportunities for doctors to practice abroad and help underserved populations.  There are agencies like the Red Cross, Doctors without Borders and the Peace Corps.   But keep in mind that these are primarily volunteer opportunities - meaning you don't get paid.    Most doctors who participate have "regular" jobs and then take a few weeks or months off to go do volunteer work. 

Sure you could look for something more permanent and you could even run your own medical practice.  But how will you pay the bills if your patients don't pay you?

Yes. There are a number of Government organisation and charites who do just that. Just work on your grades for now. You will need good ones to get into university and medical school.