Miles asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

I'm black but "act" white. How do i stop this?

This sounds like a dumb question, but im in highschool and i get made fun of for acting white. Keyword "ACTING"

its just my personality idk why, but i have no ghetto accent, and i dont sag or anything. People tell me to act my color, and some white people call me a n*gger knowing im not going to do anything. How do i change my personality, so i can stop having people be annoying about it. Or in weird terms, HOW DO I ACT BLACK :/

Good on you, and seeings the roles are unclear

Please act like your true self, thanks as none

Of the roles you play are copyrighted. therefore 

Take the best black role components & add to it

The best white role aspects to your custom mix

Ok?

Thanks 

Very Best Wishes 

Mars 

Source:) Personal views cited 

• C

Will you take some advice from a white lady in Britain who used to live in the US based on the fact that sometimes outsiders see the big picture better because they're outsiders?  Do what you need to do in the short term, but don't change yourself in the long term just because your high school classmates are myopic idiots.  These are not the people you will spending the rest of your life with - keep repeating that as a mantra when things get tough (I'm sorry, high school really does suck for most people whatever the tropes on tv and in the movies).

The reason I'm saying this is because there's no such thing as a single black culture, there's not even a single African-American culture, not for those who originate before the 1960s and especially not for those descended from more recent immigrants, whether from the Caribbean, Africa or elsewhere.  I know that's not supposed to be remarked upon by outsiders but it's still true.  I'm going to make a guess that the way you speak and act fits into your family pretty well, at least part of it (a lot of families have branches across cultures, as a kid I had to be two different people depending on which side of the family I was with).  I know where you're coming from more than you think. My best friend at school came from a Caribbean family and apart from some really cringy institutional racism looking back (it was the early 80s) her colour wasn't a thing until high school when our middle school fed into a huge high school catchment area and her version of being black was overwhelmed by another black culture, and she got the same **** as you.  It got so bad she had to quit school.  It didn't happen to me and I still get tearful thinking about it - it was that bad.

Here's the thing, she couldn't be anyone but herself, not should she have had to change.  She wasn't some kind of whigger, she was so like most middle class, black Caribbeans I've ever met, it's just that she landed in a place that was ignorant of difference and tried to hammer her into something she was not - and they had no right to try to divorce her from her natal, family culture against her will.  So, I understand your need to get through high school, but please don't think that your high school is the world and that you are somehow made wrongly.  For your own mental well-being get to know your family roots, your family culture, how your family does stuff and why, and explore the very different black cultures in the US to understand where you fit in.  It will give strength and resilience.  The older you get the more freedom you will have to choose your own company and to find your own niche.  Oh, and if you're embarrassed at seeming, I don't know the right Us term anymore, so if I call it "too white middle class" will that paint the right picture? have a read of this memoire by Margo Jefferson which I'm not going to quote because y! will probably censor it:

https://www.amazon.com/Negroland-Memoir-Margo-Jeff...

It's a look back on the good, the bad, and the ugly of just one of the many African-American ways of being.  It might give you a taste for more exploring more black cultures.  And yeah, high school really does suck.  It gets better afterwards, it really does.

If it's just your personality then you're not "acting" anything, you're just you

Be proud of who you are. Someone mentioned Obama- an argument could be made he doesn't "act black".  Like him or not, the man was a pleasure to listen to when he gave a speech.

You embrace who you are. Be proud of who you are. Only an idiot would tell you to change in that way. I don't think Obama had a ghetto accent.

Ummmmmm............... ignore them?

There is nothing wrong with this.

It is called being yourself.

Ignore them.

• Miles1 month agoReport

I try but thats kinda hard to, since i go to school with them 

I don't know how to act black, OR how to act white, either. But i did work with a girl in Chicago who told me that other blacks let her know she acted white too. She came from a wealthy family and her father was refined and cultured, well educated. So maybe this is why she "acted white". I don't know, i don't care what color she was or how she acted, she was a great gal.

You are who you are and that is OK! There are all kinds of people, it is nature v nurture. Just continue to be yourself, do not change for anyone, you will not be in school for long, its a blip in time. Where will you be in 8 years and where will the people who are bothering you be. Think about it.

i'm 21 and i look back on highschool as a joke.  dont change yourself for other people man. look at highschool as a stepping stone to know yourself and to be comfortable with yourself.  i know its difficult to do this with all the teasing or w/e but i guarantee you if you follow this advice, in a few years im sure youll find that this was joke to you too.  plus dont they already know you dont have a ghetto accent? if you change up now wouldnt you be seen as fake? that must be an even worse reason to be made fun of for. just be yourself dude. listen i saw your question on the side of this site and literally made an account to answer this question you better listen to it alright