I’m afraid I have skin cancer, I’m only 22.?

I’ve always had several birthmarks, some for most of my life and a good number of new ones within the last 3 years.. I’ve been looking at my skin more often and I’ve been so worried.

I’ve read about the symptoms of cancer for moles but I’m not sure about birthmarks.. I have several tiny flat birthmarks that look so odd to me. Some are literally the size of black heads and other are about just a tad bigger... many have what looks like slightly incomplete borders and mixed colors of both brown and black, some part being darker than others.

I’m going to schedule an appointment with a dermatologist to check all these marks... but can anyone relate..... anyone have birthmarks that look alittle weird but are benign?.... I’m honestly freaking out and on the verge of tears, my boyfriend just proposed to me a week ago...

Favorite Answer

First, relax.  Worrying isn't going to change anything. Skin cancer is rare in young people; not impossible, but rare.

Next, I think you mixing up different things going on with your skin.  A brith mark happens before birth -- it doesn't develop later. They can be types of moles, slightly darker pigment, and various other things. 

If you are getting freckles or moles, that isn't uncommon if you have sun exposure. Most of these are benign and often aren't perfectly formed or colored.  There is a difference between a slightly imperfect edge and true asymmetry and ragged edges.  Melanoma also tends to be larger in diameter than a pencil eraser. Still you are doing the right thing by seeing a dermatologist.  

• LAN
      1 month agoReport

Ask this idiot why she suddenly turned all of her most idiotic questions anonymous instead of staying in public if she really isn't the attention whore I called her out as?

I don't see anywhere you said an oncologist has given you a cancer diagnosis

Source(s): nurse

The dermatologist is a good idea to reassure you.

Go see a dermatologist and he will take scrapings of spots he finds odd looking and will send it to the lab for examination. A dermatologist might just look at you and tell you that you're just fine. But GO.

I had skin cancer, but it was removed easily.

the sooner you see a dermatologist, the sooner you'll be rid of any bad spots, if you have skin cancer. At your age, i can't imagine you have skin cancer, but it's better to be safe and get checked out as soon as possible.

• abdul

Well you should certainly make an appointment to have all that checked as as possible.

So go visit a dermatologist.  They will examine all your skin irregularities and test any they think are suspicious.  It's worth it.  If you have health insurance, find a dermatologist in your network.

• kelvin

you still don't have any type of cancer