Liv asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 month ago

Zoology career questions. PHD? Earnings?

I want a career in zoology but for the amount of work that goes in I believe that the earnings is not worth it. I plan on going to a top 15 UK university and doing a degree in zoology or zoology + animal behaviour.

Will getting a PHD and working up increase wages a significant amount?

I would like to have a research based career with decent earnings. Is this realistic? I’ve been searching online and I can’t find any information about research jobs.

Any information at all is appreciated

• MARK

If you want to earn a lot of money do not become a scientist. Think about accountancy or law. Plus their degree courses are easier. Entry requirements may be as high though because of competition. They are popular subjects because they are easier than mathematics, modern languages and sciences and pay much better.

• oikoσ

Nobody becomes a zoologist for the money, although a few can get it. Find a job that also covers medical expenses, if that is a major factor. 

There are up to date salary ranges on the government sites.

Google the word O*Net (yes, put in the *), put in the job title in the top right search box, it'll give you a full page of the duties, schooling, salary, # of anticipated job openings in the next 10 years and a bunch of other info.

Don't do it for the money.

• Liv1 month agoReport

I do have a true passion for zoology but I do have to keep money in mind as I have medical expenses to pay for unfortunately