Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicSinging · 2 months ago

I'm terrified I've damaged my vocal chords and I can't song anymore. Help!?

I'm a female aged 14 going on 15 and from about end of October \early November, my voice has begun to crack and not high notes I could before and,more recently, my throat has begun to feel horribly sore after singing and it seems to remain sore,like a sore throat after I did a performance with a high note that I couldn't hit. I'm not sure if I have damaged my vocal chords and the struggle was due to maturing voice but, the internet was useless. I'm honestly terrified as singing is my life and,if I can't sing, I have nothing.

What I'd like to know is, if it's maturing, how long is it for and, if I've damaged my vocal chords,what can I do?

Please? Thank you, I'm very desperate at this point

*Please excuse any mistakes in this post. I have an auto correct on my phone that usually "corrects " what it believes necessary and I don't check

Relax. Breathe. Eat honey, olive oil, apple juice, lots of water, toast, non-salty crackers. Practice everyday for around twenty minutes. Do NOT drink milk, vinegar, eat chocolate. These are bad for ur voice. Do not overuse ur voice, that can strain it.

You can't "SONG" anymore? I think everyone knows that 15 comes after 14. Why do teenagers always tell their age by saying their age and what they're going on. You may be going through puberty. Puberty brings on voice change, sometimes in females too.  If you think your voice is damaged you should see an ENT doctor.

I''ll just respond to some statements you made

"I'm a female aged 14 going on 15 and from about end of October \early November, my voice has begun to crack and not high notes I could before and,more recently"

Cracking can occur for a NUMBER of reasons.. vocal strain, puberty, inconsistent technique, or just not enough practice... it is normally not usually a sign of vocal injury, it's actually a good thing in some cases.... it protects your voice.... so if the only issue you find is yourself cracking.. your voice is most likely not damaged.. 

"my throat has begun to feel horribly sore after singing and it seems to remain sore,like a sore throat after I did a performance with a high note that I couldn't hit."

Now is this is actually in issue.. if your voice gets sore for any reason just go on vocal rest for the rest of the day and until you feel better. Vocal rest means  STOPPP singing, and for sure STOP pushing your voice with whatever you did to cause the soreness. When you start feeling it subside (and it prob will) do healthy vocal warmups such as lips trills throughout your range, to warm up your voice. Going further, if a note is too high for you do NOT scream do not YELL do not increase volume to obtain the note!! it's too high for you and your going to continue hurting yourself.. to achieve higher notes all you need to do is go up your range on scales in a LIGHT voice so you don't strain the notes will obtain power as you keep practicing but forcing volume on high notes that you have not practiced safely will cause you to strain and even if you can get them out those notes will tire you out, injure your voice and make it take longer to improve ( it will improve regardless but it is much more unsafe.) 

I'm not sure if I have damaged my vocal cords and the struggle was due to maturing voice but, the internet was useless. I'm honestly terrified as singing is my life and,if I can't sing, I have nothing. 

it is HIGHLY and I mean HIGHLY FACTUALLY unlikely you will completely damage your voice with one bad performance even if you feel really sore. it usually takes multiple really bad performances.. where you're straining out of your mind or screaming out of your mind. If you're going horse for a prolonged amount of times suffering from chronic voice pain or anything that's really just over long periods of time then there might be a concern but if it's temporary (only 4-5 days max to as little as a few hours) you'll be fine... your really young too. 

"What I'd like to know is, if it's maturing, how long is it for and, if I've damaged my vocal chords,what can I do? "

Relax lol... a lot of people try too hard with singing which increases strain.. chill out singing is great but it's not the holy bible... relax... 

if you have specific questions or need more information please message me on discord

Sage#3507 

Rest your cords for a few weeks. Make sure you warm up before going for those high notes. Invest in some honey, a singers best friend.

• Carson

Listen to Mary. Your voice is your instrument, take care of it.

Ever heard of Lynard Skynard. Ronmie wasnt trained. He was "lucky to die" before his voice quit.For now stop singing. Stay hydrated. Use lemon and warm honey to soothe your throat. Do not breathe through your mouth.Find a real vocal teacher. 

I think you'd benefit from learning from an experienced teacher. You'll learn about posture, proper breathing techniques, and voice placement throughout all your range.

However, if you sing rap music or other pop music, where a raspy shout is encouraged, your voice won't last long. "Bel canto" may not be a current style, but if you want a long life with singing, you'd better get expert help.

Vocal "cords", not "chords".

• Evan Hansen2 months agoReport

Thank you:)

(Also, excuse the mistakes. It seems my phone only uses auto correct to..change everything for some reason)