Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Is it bad to put my cat down for this reason?

I have a 16 year old cat. She has hyperthyroidism, which is being treated. She doesnt do much lately, besides sit around. Might sounds bad, but if she developed another chronic health issue like diabetes, than I might treat that, but any more than that, than i think I'd have her put to sleep. Even if she might not be in pain.

• Jerry

I know that one of my cats got some expensive sickness, I'd probably not be able to afford the treatments and medicine. I'd have to have the poor thing put to sleep. I feel terrible just thinking about it. 

My cats generally live to be about 17-20 before something like kidney failure ends their quality of life. When they're that old they may not move around much, may be blind or deaf or gone in their minds, but I can tell they still enjoy laying in the sun, eating supper, hanging with the other cats. If they're not in pain, I don't see any reason to cut their lives short. 

She may not do much these days, but then elderly cats don't. Neighbors have an old girl, no-one knows how old she is but she may be approaching 20. She doesn't do much either apart from sit in the window and observe her territory.  On a good day she might totter outside for a while and sit out there in the sun rather than indoors.  She's not in pain or discomfort and is clearly happy and a valued member of the family.

It would be terrible to end the life of something that's happy and comfortable just because she's old. 

Personally I'M getting old, slow and arthritic and have a chronic illness which is well treated. I have no intention of going just yet, thank you!

In my book, a 16-year old cat is still "young."  A cat with hyperthyroidism is unlikely to develop diabetes, but that doesn't rule out other issues.  Don't put down any animal just because it is inconvenient, do it because they're in pain or their quality of life has deteriorated beyond all hope.   It is emotionally painful to have to put a pet down....I've had to do it once and I still question and regret that decision and it still hurts to this day.   In fact, tears are rolling down my cheeks thinking about it.