Anonymous

Does my degree really matter in what job I get?

So I’m finally graduating college 5 years after my graduation date with a liberal arts degree. I know I know what job will you get with that is all I ever hear. But in my defense I’m a terrible student who didn’t know what they wanted to do in life and couldn’t focus on one major to save his life! But anyway I’ve actually been working in the finance world for the last 4 years. Started with a teller position at a branch then moved to operations call center to now a supervisor in the call center at the same bank. I do my job really well and know a lot of people/ connections being there. I graduate in May 2020. I would like get a job being  a business analyst or finance analyst. The job description states bachelor degree required and work field experience required. Well I will technically have both but do you think this degree will indeed stop me from achieving a job like this?

sdfsdfsdfdsfdsfsdfsdf

• Scott

If your degree is in civil engineering or medicine or law and you're looking for work in one of those fields - then your degree absolutely matters. For most people, whatever major the degree is in is fairly irrelevant to the job. I work in IT. I have an Accounting degree. One of my colleagues has a Math degree, another has a Marketing degree. The thing about any college degree is it serves as proof you can do research, SHOULD be able to communicate effectively and can see a difficult, long-term process through from start to finish.

Your inability to do the job will keep you from doing the job.

Sorry but in the 150 words of your question, you have clearly pointed out that you do not have the skills to be a business analyst or financial analyst.

A BA or FA requires great analytical reasoning skills which based on this note, you don't have. 

1. So I’m finally graduating college 5 years after my graduation date with a liberal arts degree.

- No, you aren't. 

You are graduating on your graduation date which is 5 years after your the date you should be graduating based on when you started school

2. The job description states bachelor degree required and work field experience required

- No, you don't.

You will have a bachelors degree

You have experience in the banking industry.

Your experience in the banking industry has been as a teller and as a CS Rep/Supervisor.... this is nothing like BA or FA work.

Do you know want a BA or FA does?

Are you sure you want to be one?  I can't see how someone who is a "terrible" student would a) enjoy the work b) would have the skills to do it

Think about it before you apply.

If you are really interested in it, apply and prove me wrong. 

It won't stop you since experience is always better than a new graduate without any. It's not the best degree to have though.. I think you already know that. At least you have the degree they require...however, if someone comes in with a degree in finance/accounting etc and also has experience they will probably get the job since their degree is more "specific". Good luck!!

In truth, no. But you will have to work hard to prove that you have the skills to be an analyst. It is not an easy role, and most organizations do not want to give these positions to people who are not properly qualifies.