Should you blame a previous generation for how the newer one turned out (positively & negatively)?

Every generation hates the other but they didn't fall out of the sky that way. Who raised that generation? Which one decided to give their kids participation ribbons? Which decided to buy their toddler a tablet? Which generation instilled the values of the newer?

Who cultivated, taught, and gave the newer the gift of technology, values, education, and morality?

Not saying people can get off scot-free for being horrible people, but it's like giving your kid everything they ever wanted and wondering why they turned out spoiled?

Thoughts?

• Vicki
    Favorite Answer

I feel like a lot of the time the older generation is VERY quick to try and solely blame the newer ones. But I don't think many of them ever actually realize that it was the way the older generation raised the new one that made them the way they are. And the whole cycles continues the further back we go.

My mom raised me. A lot of my traits are my own, but a good amount of them are learned from my mom. From the way she raised me. Like, I get it, it's easy to blame one another but really we are the result of our upbringing...

i feel like there are so many factors that contribute to the development of this generation or of kids. i feel like its the contribution of parents but also the community to re enforce the positive teachings from the parents. if people know something is bad or not preference for good reasons, then we all have to work together as a community to product a positive generation.

Blame social engineering and vaccines. Baby Boomers caused nothing. They worked for your asses. Idiot.

I think you can blame the parents.

• Zirp

unless there was a generation-wide referendum in which everybody voted the same, generalising/blaming an entire generation is WRONG

No one should blame anyone.

Each generation dotes on its children until adolescence leads those children to conclude that their parents are stupid and embarrassing.  And then young adulthood leads the children to idealism or cynicism, further widening the schism.  These are inevitable things that occur in EVERY generation - always have and always will.  Today's parents and grandparents did it, and their grandparents before them.  If you read old novels and accounts from the past, the same themes recur - all the way back to the beginning of writing.  It's how we grow.

There's nothing wrong with this.  The naturally-occurring schism actually fits hand-in-glove with Western civilisation's requirement that children will leave the nest and take up their own place in the capitalist economy at 20 or so.  It hurts nothing:  Values are still implanted.  Cultural norms are still inculcated.  There is no great breakdown of the generational process.  This is how it's supposed to work - how it has always worked.  Nothing to worry about.

It's true that the internet has changed the way younger people's brains work - just as has every information and communication advance since the printing press.  But that is just something ELSE for the two sides of the Generation Gap to fulminate over for a bit.  In the end, the internet changes nothing about the family dynamics that have been typical of homo sapiens since the beginning.

Ťhėrė xist numrous genration all ovr lapping

each other &  the averag parnt is about 25 yrs

older than their childrn g/t IO here or thėrė :-)

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

• Blonde

I absolutely blame the parents for naughty kids, kids who are stupid, anger problems, or emotionally insecure...many parents today have a kid, stick him/her in the cheapest daycare until 6pm, then let kid play video games until late. Some kids do not get enough sleep, only eat highly processed foods, never taken to church or given any information about their spiritual side. Parents feel guilt for lack of attention so they buy their kid everything they want. Kids then have ‘items’ to rely on for attention. Active kids are medicated, and shy kids, too. I’ve met adults who never rode a bike, played a sport, never went on a camping trip, have never learned to swim or been to a beach or a lake or even a pool. Some kids grow into adulthood with severe anxiety and such poor social skills they are unemployable. Do I blame the parents? Absolutely.

There's a point in time when growing up means accepting responsibility for who we are, how we treat ourselves and others, the decisions and choices we make.   Generations have always had the same fight, probably back to cavemen days lol but ultimately, its the individual who needs to take responsibility.

Fingers need to be pointed only at ourselves or we will continue the same shitty patterns, both personally and as a species.