Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Is it rude to wear IcyHot at work if you have chronic pain from an injury?

I have problems with TMJ and consequently chronic neck pain, many times over-the-counter painkillers aren't effective in treating my pain.

So today at work I put on some IcyHot gel. Within 20 minutes later the secretary came running into my office asking what I have on, and I said IcyHot, and bluntly declared "take it off!" Since it was said in front of colleagues I felt somewhat embarrassed and debased.

But if it is rude, I will accept that and move on.

• Lita
    Favorite Answer

Rude? Not really but the smell may be intense for those with allergies. Try getting the scent free variety of a topical pain rub. It's what I use around the office or around my husband, whose sensitive to certain smells.

I read your other comments. Your office should institute an office wide ban on strong smelling scents, including icy hot and perfume you can smell a mile away. 

You can't 'declare' "Take it off!" We 'declare' a statement. This was a command, an order.

• drip

Icy hot smells? I have the roll on here at home, once on and dry it doesn’t have an odor.   There are products out there that  don’t have a scent like Ben Gay.  

I don’t see she could of smelled it unless she was sitting right next to you.

Put it on at home or in the bathroom and give your hands a couple washing to get the smell off. Don’t put it on at your desk.

Yes she was rude. She could of handled in much better way.

You were doing what you felt was necessary in regards to easing your discomfort and unless there is some specific employee mandate, chances are you were not violating your organization's policies. It is possible this person's preference was for you to not be displaying your IcyHot gel, but this does not suggest you were obliged to do so. If you have any concerns, have a conversation with your Manager and get clarification.

• Edna

IcyHot does have a distinctive smell, but the smell fades away a few  minutes after it's applied. I wouldn't call wearing it  at work as being "rude" to anybody. 

i dont think so, i think she was the one being rude

I personally find it a rude remake and not something she should have said. IcyHot is better that good old BenGay

It isn't rude, but perhaps insensitive.  Products like IcyHot have very strong scents and many people are extremely sensitive to them. The secretary was rude to you, but it probably best to just let that slide.

I would strongly suggest you consider and all of the following:

1.  Go to speak with a pharmacist about a product that is odor-free.

2.  Go see your dentist and find out if a mouth guard might help.

3.  Go see a chiropractor or physical therapist to see if your TMJ and neck issues can be mitigated or eliminated by massage, adjustments, etc.  

• Lili

IcyHot IS an over-the-counter painkiller.  You don't need a prescription for it.

Yes, that stuff has a very strong smell and can trigger reactions in people who are sensitive to certain odors. It's the kind of thing you should avoid wearing at work.

Try lidocaine patches, which I've used on my neck with some success, or an unscented analgesic cream.  The patches won't stick to hair, so you may need to shave the area, or you can use a bandanna or high-necked sweater to hold them against your neck.

• Lili

Well, you could ask her to do that, if you ask more politely than she did. Take the high road.

No. What is rude is to tell someone they stink (and worse in front of people), as the secretary did.