Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 month ago

Odds of being audited just for claiming child credits?

No, I’m not doing anything wrong but I have massive anxiety so I’m wondering if it’s even worth my anxiety over it.

EITC credits I mean 

If claiming legitimately, why do you care if you get audited?

If they are your children (or your spouse's children on a joint return), then the odds of having your claim reviewed are very small.

Most reviews are just a simple request for supporting information, not a full audit. For example if they aren't sure that they were your children they might ask for a copy of their birth certificate. If the child is a niece or nephew they're more likely to ask for all the birth certificates to prove the relationship (yours, your sibling's, and the child's, which proves that they are your sibling's child)

If your income comes from a job where you receive a W2 or a contractor position where you receive a 1099 then there's nothing to worry about as far as an audit to verify your income, since the IRS gets copies of those income statements. If you are self employed (not on a 1099 contractor position) they might ask for more detailed business records to verify your income and deductions if you end up with a large refundable credit. But that's nothing to worry about if you have proper business records.

Personally, I wouldn't give up a $2,000 tax credit just because you *might* be asked to provide supporting documentation. If you are sure you qualify, then claim your credits and just save a copy of any relevant documentation in your file so you are prepared for the unlikely situation where the IRS asks.

Kiplinger published a list of 20 red flags that may trigger an audit, and nowhere on the list was the child credit.

• Eva

They don't do a full scale audit for that. If they have a question they send a letter. It usually only happens when the child is claimed on 2 different people's returns. As long as you can prove you're entitled to claim the child, there's no problem.

• Carson

It's done. You have a couple of choices.

Call them and tel them

Stop worrying and let fate run its course.

You have a conscience. My sincere advice is to not do these types of things.

As someone who often suffers from anxiety - I would have to say, "No. It's not worth it." THEN AGAIN.. as I always tell myself, Feelings are not FACT. And anxiety is just a feeling. I often tell that feeling to F off. No kidding. And then I do my best to take nice, deep breaths. That all said... if indeed you haven't done anything wrong - a child tax credit could probably come in handy. Right? I wonder... were you raised by someone who blamed YOU for all of their faults?

There is almost no chance of be audited over the Child Tax Credit if they are your own kids by birth or adoption.

If you are claiming "nieces" or "nephews", the odds are substantially higher.