Maggie asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Best product to wash my dog with after an attack? ?

Okay so my little buddy (terrior mix) was attacked by a big black lab over a female dog that is apparently ready for mating at our neighbors house (where the girl dog lives). This black dog doesn’t live there, but was loose from up the street where his owner keeps a beware of dog sign, and she just doesn’t give a crap her evil *** dog is running about. 

Anyways, my dog and the girl dog are friends and the black lab decided to assert his dominance and well...We got a call from the neighbor and my buddy returned caked in mud, limping, eye blood shot, cheek the size of a tangerine, bleeding, yelping when we try to pick him up. 

He wouldn’t come to us, he ran under couch (it’s an off the ground futon couch) I could tell he was in extreme pain and I couldn’t stop crying.

So we zoomed to the Emergency vet, where he ended up staying the night. He does have a puncture wound on his neck, just before his chest. They said it didn’t require stitches but he’s on an antibiotic pill, pain meds, and inflammation med. They had to shave where the abscess was, and they were able to clean the wound, but they said to leave it uncovered. 

I really need to give him a bath but I’m worried I’ll hurt him, or irritate the wound. I have organic lavender and oatmeal shampoo for him, would this be ok? I’m not saying I’ll put it on the wound, just when I rinse if it gets in there on accident. What do you recommend? Also should I clean the wound itself with something or just stick with the antibiotic pill?

• John

No do not use that. You need a poulice. It'll suck poison out.

You bath it with clean water then lick it to keep it open so it'll heal.

You also need to control the evil dog. You need to be careful you don't know how to handle dogs.

Even if you try to control it when your around your dog it won't matter it'll wait to attack your dog when your not around.

So I suggest tricking it and surprising it but I don't doubt it'll attack you.

You need to make sure your dog and the evil dog are friends instead of enemies so avoiding confrontation is stupid.

You need to let them sniff noses and play.

I've noticed people with small dogs have become real stupid around my nice big dog. Real stupid like they are trying to get my big dog to attack their little dog.

Dogs whatever the size usually get along and all dogs bark. Its not the big shocker some people think it is.

And quit being racist losers. All white people are OK.

Arab lovers go where oil is wanted its not wanted here in the united states we like horses.

Dove Soap.     

"How to tend to dog bite wounds on my dog?" I did a google search for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+tend+dog+bi...

Abscess? There should be no abscess from fresh dog bite wounds. Abscesses form when a wound is not cared for.

Best find a way to keep your dog home. He needs to be neutered to help control the overpopulation of dogs & cats.

Males fight for the right to breed to the female & him being a little dog he gets the worst wounds. Poor little guy should not have been able to leave his yard.

• Maggie2 months agoReport

He was there during a play date cause they’re friends. It’s not like that. He’s nurtured. That dog came into the yard while the neighbors were out with them. Again I have to explain more than I need to bc you idiots just assume ****. Holy ****. 

If this is just a clean up after whatever happened during the fight, and if you can do it without getting near the wound, then he should be okay if you use his normal dog shampoo.   Or you could just use warm water with no shampoo this time, just to get the dirt off.    I would just say that given the trauma he's already experienced in the fight, if he's at all bothered when he has a bath (previously), I'd just gently lay him down and sponge-clean him, avoiding the wound for now - at least giving it a chance to scab over.    Diluted Hibiscrub is a good anteseptic.

As far as the wound itself is concerned, I'd leave it to heal - which the antibiotic will aid.   I think I'd run this past a vet - either the one who saw him via the Emergency, or his regular vet.   I am a bit surprised the Emergency vet didn't clean him off when checking for other wounds, to be honest.

This situation with the stray dog needs to be sorted out big time.   And via the relevant authorities.   If he's regularly running loose like that, with a local b itch in season too, this isn't to end up other than with more fighting going on.    And keep your dog completely away and safe while she's in season (and persuade the owner to get her SPAYED!).

Males fight to mate!!

• Maggie2 months agoReport

Thank you for not being a jerk. The vet did clean it, he just has a little blood spots left over. He also got xrays and blood work done. All was well. I’m just concerned about the bathing, but your answer helped me. Thank you. 

In my opinion the vet should have washed him there. If not then you probably should have asked the vet before you left. The fact that the vet didn't wash him there or tell you not to wash him yourself probably means there isn't much to worry about. Soap shouldn't hurt the wound at all though. If the wound is fresh however it could sting a little.

I`m very sorry Maggie:

i don`t know how it happened , but my previous answer  was not intended for you.

It was an answer i wrote to an entirely different question; from a very frequent troll  here in dogs section..... Again my apologies it was entirely my mistake,and a genuine one as is my apology:

So. i  withdraw the answer.

• Maggie2 months agoReport

He wasn’t running free, he was with the neighbors, being watched, BY THE ******* NEIGHBORS with THEIR GIRL DOG. MY DOG IS NEUTERED, THE BLACK DOG CAME AND ****** THEM UP. SHUT THE **** UP

Which kind of attack. Also is your dog dirty, because you said "Wash''

• Maggie2 months agoReport

Yes, from the mud. He’s got a little
      Dried Blood on his coat. Other than that no. But he is a dog, so maybe? Lol 

• Maxi

I would never recommend any shampoo to bathe a dog espeically one that has an open wound, get some oats put them in a piece of cloth and run a loak warm bath letting the water run through the oats, use the oat wrapped in cloth as the 'soap' and rinse well, natural oats are soothing to the skin, shampoo is not and dries out the coat/skin and if you do not rinse properly the oats alone will not hurt but the shampoo will

• Maggie2 months agoReport

Thank you so, so much. I’m glad I waited and asked others. I will do this 

Before you do anything I would recommend calling the place where your dog was treated and verify how to approach this. They are the ones that should be advising you. In fact, I am surprised that they didn't supply you with written instructions like most vets do when a pet is discharged from their care.

Let me add that the lab comes on the girl dogs porch and growls at her owners, growls at children in the neighborhood, chases after my sister on her bike, comes in my yard growling and barking, my dad has run it off countless times. It came at another neighbor but they kicked him. My dad called animal control 3 times and they came to get it only after it put my dog in the hospital and he threatened to shoot it. He wouldn’t actually do it, but our neighbors are very close to it because it’s a danger. It finally was picked up by animal control, only for the Dumbass owner to come get it saying it gets off the leash sometimes. Yeah ok lady. They tried to get her to surrender him but she refused. 

• Veschengro

in some cases the animal itself ( as are humans )... ISFF perfectly capable of  looking after a small insignificant bite wound, but anything that infected or i considered serious then the vet directly.