the meanings in a word never or rarely used, help?

i am a english language learner.

i know there are many meanings in a word, but some of the meanings in a word are rarely used.

when i look a word up , how to know what meanings can be ignored ? how to know what meanings i must memorize and remember?

Update:

meanings of a word

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

I would not put it into a "must memorize" category.  If you encounter the word enough, you will be able to get its meaning from the many different contexts in which it appears.  The dictionary is only there to help you understand the general idea that the word is used for, rather than for a very specific and proscriptive purpose.

As to words with several possible meanings or even nuances (and nuances are often not indicated in dictionary definitions), the context has to dictate which is intended.

I do understand your issue because I also learned a second language.  The problem is that words in other languages do not carry the same precise meaning as the foreign translation would indicate.  The meaning and usages are not identical.  You can only truly learn them in detail through experience, through the ways that the native speaker uses them.

The dictionary will tell you the general meaning.  The actual, real and intended meaning can be a bit different.  There are values and weights that come with words that are not openly part of the dictionary definitions.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

english has  exceptions for most of it;s 'rules',, what you need to get into your grey matter,is understanding 'the context' and use of subject verb,pronouns,,possessives plurals,,etc,learn them by readings using, writing cursively,printing,learn spelling,,same way

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you want to become adept with English, just learn their spellings and meanings and usages.

• 1 month ago

Dictionaries usually put the most common meaning or meanings first on the list.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

What kind of words are "Rarely or never" used

• dogsafire
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

They're talking about the definitions, not words. For example, affect is normally a verb and effect is a noun. But there are alternate definitions of each word, not in common usage but still very valid, where affect is a noun and effect is a verb.

• 1 month ago

Its a learning and ever changing experience the words you use and how you use them.

Lv 6
    1 month ago

Practice! You can learn by reading books, or ebooks in English.

• 1 month ago

The meanings OF a word depend on the context in which it's used.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.