Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

How many tins of canned food should I feed my cat?

My cat is four years old and she’s a domestic long-haired tabby. She is a normal size and weight. How many tins of wet/canned food should she have per day? She also had dry food available at all times.

• Ocimom
    Favorite Answer

About 2-3 oz of food per meal.  So about one small can (like Fancy Feast kind) or you can divide a larger 6 oz can into 3 meals.  Ditch the dry food - it will cause her to become overweight or have UTI problems or liver/kidney problems.  She can have a few pieces of dry on top of the canned but she should be eating mainly canned food and little to no dry.

My cat eats the pouches.. he eats about 2 or 3 a day but the pouches are small.. Plus little snacks like a bit of cold sandwich meat or handful of dreamies between meals 

He's not allowed to eat any more by vets orders due to an operation he had on his stomach 

With my cats, I do half a can of wet food. Don't do this daily, but if your cat is pregnant it might help her. I usually only give my cats wet food on special occasions or once or twice a month.

Cats are not supposed to eat canned cat food normally, as their natural  diet is other cats. find a place that sells ground up cat meat or buy a cat and feed it to her. Half a full grown cat should be enough for one day.

Most cats need a 5.5-6oz of food a day split into 2 meals. This is if fed all canned which you should do. Dry food is not healthy. 

I'll tell you how much we feed our cat. Since all cats are different. The amount you feed depends on age, diet and type of food.

We feed 1/2 can of Friskies Pate at 1700 est. The other 1/2 can we give her when we go to bed at 2300 est. We leave out a scoop(those smalls plastic scoops from 4C ice tea containers)on her plate all day for nibbles. She is at her optimal weight for a cat her age(which we can only estimate to the month since she was adopted as a stray at one month according to our vet).

No cat should need more food then that.

• PAMELA

Ask a vet, i usually would feed about three quarters of a can a day, divided into two meals,one in the morning, one in the evening, that always kept my cats happy,especially with dry food down, they need no more, also make sure that there is fresh water down all the time.

You are asking a question to which there isn't a simple answer. I suggest you read the article at the link below to determine the answer for your cat.

• Katie

0 cans - as she has access to dry food.