Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 months ago

How do I get my narcissistic sister not to bully me if she sees me over the holidays?

I am hoping I don't have to see her as she is like a witch but if I do how do I get her not to bully me?

Favorite Answer

People who are feeling confident and secure and have self respect don't feel a need to call people names, criticise, bully, shout, etc.   

Bullies want attention, and my general feelings are that if people allow them to get their way through fear (the ultimate emotional reaction) they are succeeding and will continue. One way to combat verbal bullying is not to ignore them completely as this shows that they are getting to you, but demonstrate that you have heard the remark or whatever with a glance, dismissive wave or brief response ("oh yes", or similar) and THEN ignore them. Why should you care what such a pathetic person thinks of you? (Only weak and needy people feel a need to bully). Alternatively, or in addition, try to use some humour (U.K. spellings!). It need not be mocking humour, but some light-hearted banter can often diffuse situations. 

Put on an imaginary suit of golden armour, and visualise the unkind remarks (or those you perceive to be unkind - be very careful not to imagine a slight when none is intended) as arrows, harmlessly bouncing off your armour and falling to the ground. 

If the abuse is physical, you could join a martial arts or self defence class. Or even check out some moves on Youtube. Learn to defend yourself without retaliating.  

Good Luck!

just dont say much to her

Don't let her bully you. Give it to her right back. People will treat you how you allow them to. It's time to teach her you will not tolerate it anymore.

• audrey

Grow up and grow a backbone.

Just tell her you re getting turned on by her bullying.