Am I ‘relatively lucky’ immigration wise in the grand overall scheme of things?

I never achieved my lifetime goal (albeit dream) to become an American and live and work nationwide in the 50 US states. It’s closed except for holidays only on the 90 day Visa Waiver Programme.

I am however a dual Dutch and UK citizen with the 28 countries of the EU at my leisure to freely live and work in, in addition to my wife’s country of Mauritius and Israel forthcoming, as I am pursuing a Reform Judaism conversion. I have checked and can get into Israel via this pathway.

I also could not immigrate and break into the rest of the Anglosphere outside of Europe via employment, namely Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

So, in summary I did not get into the USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand.

But I do have The Netherlands, wider EU, UK, Mauritius and Israel.

All in all, was it an equivalently good outcome and deal in terms of the cards that life dealt to me?

Favorite Answer

Relatively, but you've made some interesting mistakes.

1. The 90-day Visa Waiver Program is only for those who don't want to live or work in the U.S. Because your goal or dream is to live and work in the U.S. states, you can be denied entry under the Visa Waiver Program.

2. To become a full citizen of Israel, you may have to give up the citizenships that you have now.

3. Having so many is not necessarily a good thing, because you may have to pay taxes to multiple countries or serve in their militaries.

• Foofa

It's like deja vu all over again.