Ray asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

How do you choose what books to read when they are all interesting?

• Joe

You don't.  You read them all.

• j153e

Make a "Choose Your Own Path" game challenge of your dilemma:

If you have regular books, or a Kindle, or a public library,

make a list (5, 10, 15).

Then, kick some off the island, put them on the second string, etc.

So you're arriving at 2 or 3, place them on your bookshelf, pick one with closed eyes ;-)

Then, if the book keeps you interested, as you put it down at the end of the last chapter, another game:  do you choose another book by the same author, will you be faithful to the two remaining, will you make a new list?

Enjoy, perhaps with a cup of herbal tea.

many writers have a series of books, written over the course of their writing career, that represents their "style". while i might think i want to read the entire series created by an author, i find that i have had enough to be satisfied with their "style" after reading only one-or-two.

• Zac Z

Hard to tell as I'll often make a spontaneous choice.

I consider length (depending on how much time I'll likely have on my hands in the near future), genre, or sometimes I'll just browse my shelf and pick one that interests me (I've got many books stored away so the ones on the shelf obviously are more directly accessible).

I'm interested, in theory, in most of my books as I bought them purposefully. But I'm not always interested in everything at a specific point in time.

Sometimes, I feel like reading a short novel, or even a couple short stories. Other times, I get in the mood for a series. I have books in my native German as well as in English and will feel the urge to switch languages from time to time. Sometimes I want to read something light, other times I'm in the mood for more "profound" stories.

Favorite authors or just by what strikes my fancy most. Sometimes I choose an author with a lot of books out so I can move on to those if I like the first one.

It depends on which adventure you seek in reading....you want to see the Universe and travel stars meet wild looking creature try SF....seeking love.....the wild west stories.... go swimming on a beach and a there you are, flowing along in story of a sinking ship trying to save yourself.......so which adventure do you want to travel and got to one that hunts you day and night after reading....is the way I choose...

Just read them all then.

Try it by authors. Just look up some of them and choose based on which one of them is the most interesting