Would you yell at your kids for making noise?

I've known a couple of people who complain about their kids being noisy and to be honest I can definitely understand that to some extent. However I've heard of people who get yell at their kids for doing things as minor as playing with things like those animal sound toys that are meant for learning. So as for the question well I think this really depends, if they're making too much noise from rough housing or something like that then yeah I agree with yelling at them to get them to keep the volume down. For example there was an incident where I jumped off my bed to practice a stunt that I saw once and my dad got after me for this because this made a loud thump that my dad heard over the TV. However I wouldn't yell at them for something minor like playing with one of their toys that happens to make noise unless the volume is too loud because after all, it's normal for children to make noise. So would you yell at your child for making noise? Also I was using my experience as an example of something that parents probably would yell at their kids for, I'm not dwelling on the past or anything.

I find if you have to raise your voice, you have lost control of the situation, and this applies to any person/scenerio! 

I have 4 nieces and nephews and I never scream/yell at them, haven't then, don't now, and don't intend to in the future. I will however be firm with them IF I'm required to step in on a very rare occasion, like I did the other day when my youngest niece decided to run off when we were outside. I didn't yell at her, but I made it crystal clear to her that she was wrong to run off, and i made sure she went right inside, she was not allowed out the rest of the day. 

• Charlie1 month agoReport

Yeah It's not good to yell but sometimes the parents can't help it and especially when they get overwhelmed and my incident is a clear example of something that I wouldn't blame parents for yelling at their kids for because that's dangerous.

If you're trying to calm noise down... yelling doesn't work..

• Charlie2 months agoReport

To be honest I agree that yelling isn't the best way to resolve issues but sometimes the parents can't help it and especially in cases where they get overwhelmed or when their child does something dangerous.

• edward

I would yell at them for making a loud thump because that could be serious, not because i was watching TV. My kid can be as loud as he wants at home, we live a solid 50 meters away from neighbors in each direction and we live in our own house.

• Charlie2 months agoReport

But you're right a loud thump is usually a sign that something either got damaged or that someone got hurt.

• Suzy Q

I try not to yell at my kids at all. Sometimes it's necessary to avert danger (for instance a child is about to run into the street) and sometimes frustration just gets the better of me, but yelling at my kids for undesirable behaviour is not my preferred parenting style.

Using a firm voice when appropriate (I actually call it the Voice of Authority), sure. Yelling, no. There is a big difference. Yelling is out of control. The Voice of Authority is the sound of a parent in control, of themselves and the situation. It doesn't even need to be louder than normal speaking, just clear, with projection, and a tone of voice that makes people stop and pay attention.

As for the kids making noise: well, if it's a toy that is supposed to make sound, it's my responsibility for letting them have it. As grating as they can be on the nerves I can't really fault the kids for playing with them, although I have to admit a few of the worst have gotten 'lost' in the trash.

(Getting flashbacks right now about a school bus that played 'the wheels on the bus' again and again and again. Loudly. Off-key. Horribly, horror-movie-esque off-key. And didn't have an off-button. And would spontaneously 'wake up' in the middle of the night and start playing. That thing was seriously evil and needed to be destroyed. To save the world, you see.)

Thankfully the kids are now at an age (5 and 7) that they are not as interested in toys that play bad songs and animal sounds, and are old enough to understand why at certain times (someone is practicing the piano or singing, or watching the news, or mommy just hasn't had coffee yet) it is more appropriate to find something less noisy to do. 

• Charlie2 months agoReport

Yeah to be honest in those situations, I'd suggest a quieter activity such as reading a book.

Yelling just adds to the noise, and gives the impression that noise is okay if it's the adult doing it.

The parent should get the kids to be quiet just long enough to explain that they're bothering other people, and to suggest that they play quietly for a while or else go outside.

• Charlie1 month agoReport

Well like I said I don't agree with yelling but even good parents make mistakes like this and sometimes you can't really blame them. If you read my example then in my situation, I don't blame my dad for yelling because jumping off of my bed was a dangerous action and could have resulted in injury.

• angie

I am sad to say I find myself yelling at my kids quite frequently in similar scenario's. Is it right, no. Do I hate myself later, yes. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the fear that if I don't keep everything under my control all of the time then I am risking their safety. That anxiety ridden existence keeps my nerves on edge and ANY banging, crashing, racket, etc easily gets these unfortunate results.

• Charlie2 months agoReport

To be honest I don't have kids but I do understand getting overwhelmed sometimes.