Attic ventilation question?

I recently purchased a new build home. However I noticed my attic has no exhaust ventilation. It just has 67 soffit bird hole vents that are 2 1/4 inch each with mesh inserts. Building code in my area dictates the 1/150 rule. Are the bird holes sufficient by themselves?

I forgot to state the attic area is 1200 square feet

My home wasn't individually inspected. The building inspector inspected one model like mine and passed all of the others in the development

Favorite Answer

Not only do you need soffit openings but also ridge vents. The ridge vents have as much or more to do with the degree of ventilation. 

I find it hard to believe a new house could pass inspection without the required roof ventilation. 

• Nuff Sed

Not every jurisdiction requires that new houses be inspected for "attic ventilation".

It depends on how they function

• elhigh

Since you didn't specify the size of the attic, we cannot say whether that's enough or not. But since you have been permitted to occupy the house, we have to assume that it passed inspection and that the supplied venting was therefore deemed sufficient.

• chicablah2 months agoReport

It's in the update 1200 sq feet

your contractor and the building inspector think so, yes.

if you're very concerned and have shingle roof, you can easily add a ridge line vent system -- it's a handyman and power saw job.

Source(s): grampa

As you don't think it is necessary to HINT at the size of the building, I SERIOUSLY doubt you have a clue the amount of venting present. Given that there are generally an equal number of vents on both sides of the roof, I doubt 67 is an accurate count.

Update: You FLAT OUT LIED when you claimed the inspector looked at the model and approved the whole development. Your comments to my answer are even less credible than that BS.

• chicablah2 months agoReport

There's only 22 on the front of the home and 45 on the rear. I know it's odd my home has had a lot of issues. This is just the latest.