Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 months ago

What do I get an 9 month old baby??

My baby will be 9 months old on Christmas and I'm not sure what to get him.. I want to buy him some toys but I want to get him some that he'll actually like and play with... I'm not sure what to really get him. 

• Edna

A 9-month-old doesn't give a flip about Christmas, and he's not even aware that it IS Christmas or that he's supposed to receive a gift. Get him some building blocks. He probably won't "play" with them or be able to stack them up, but he'll enjoy throwing them across the room. 

You can ask his mother for a few suggestions?

I am really confused as to how you don't know what your child likes and will play with.  What our kids liked means nothing, we have no idea if it'll apply to yours.  I have five kids, they all liked different things.

Our girls got a lot of use out of their wooden blocks.

They used them for years.

I also like getting books for babies.  Children of your son's age like picture books with actual photographs, like these:

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/babys-abc-super-chub...

• Suzy Q

My oldest was probably about that age when we got him his first set of lego duplo blocks. Something like the set in the picture (we actually got my niece this exact set for her first birthday last week), just assorted blocks, not something you can build only one thing with.

The great thing about these is that they will be fun for years ahead. They are big and sturdy enough to be safe for a baby, he'll love the bright colours, and can enjoy just banging them together. In a few months he'll start sticking them together and building towers. Then progressively more complicated structures. 

My kids are now 5 and 7 and still play with these. They often use them as construction material in other building projects. For instance they may build a train track with a long bridge, and use these big legos to build support pillars. It's the only thing they started playing with as babies and still have fun with. 

The baby wont remember, you don't have to get anything... Unless you have a crowd 

Anything he can put in his mouth and chew on without choking would get a lot of use. There are these little cookies for babies that are sold to help with teething. Maybe something like that would be at least a good stocking stuffer?