Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 2 months ago

My dad says he has to have sweets for his type 2 diabetes?

My dad is elderly and he has type 2 diabetes, hes had it for 20 years. It has progressed to where he needs insulin injections at night every day to keep his blood sugars normal. Well, he claims that he has to have sweets whenever he starts feeling weak or faint. So he will take a box of cookies with him upstairs or a jar of honey.

Is this accurate? Or is he just using his diabetes as an excuse to eat sweets?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Cammie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The first step is to test your Blood sugar.Once you have the info, then you can act on it. He should be testing much more .If he is elderly, he may not understand this.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Shay
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Insulin  can cause sugar levels to go too low.

In those cases, something with glucose that is quickly digested is a good idea.

My husband prefers to drink about 6 ounces of orange juice.  It is natural sugar - healthy - and it works.

So - does he "need" actual "sweets" - NO - he does not.  He should be using healthier alternatives.   Eating one or two cookies would be an okay boost to get low sugar levels back up.  But if he is eating the whole package - then he is doing it wrong.

BTW - constantly needing to eat something sugary to get levels back up could indicate that he needs his dosage adjusted.  He may be taking too much insulin.  

• 2 months ago

If your dad has had diabetes for 20 years he should know how to manage the low glucose levels when this happens.

When a diabetic patient feels weak or faint due to low glucose levels, this is an emergency and yes, eating a bit of honey or something sweet helps but there is more to this.

If your dad experiences low glucose levels often then his insuline shots aren't well adjusted or his diet isn't properly adjusted either. Your dad needs to see a Dietitian and work w an Endocrinologist to learn how to manage his diabetes.

Source(s): I'm a Dietitian
  • 2 months ago

I'm not a doctor but really, all your father might need is decent, whole healthy food of some sort if he feels his sugar level is low, if that's why he's eating sweets.

People do not "need" sugar at all.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

it might be a little of both

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.