Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

Does this sound like B.S. to you, or does it sound possible?

"Heck no, but years ago the Natives of Canada and Greenland shot many big bear, including polar bear, with .30-30s and .32s. Some even used the .22 Hornet, slipping that tiny 40-grain bullet into an ear or eye, to reach the brain.

A good friend, a former US Air Force survival instructor, stationed in the arctic told me about this. The Natives invited him on a polar bear hunt one day, with their .22 Hornets. He fearfully declined. They later brought in a HUGE polar bear, shot in the throat multiple times."

Yup, sounds like BS to me.

Of course it's possible. I once kilt a grizzly with a bootlace and a pointy stick.

They 'eye' part is certainly BS.  Look at a bear skull.  The orbit of the eye (bone surrounding the eye) is not aligned with the brain.  A shot into a bear's eye straight on would pass through the eye, then muscle, and out the back.  No way a 22 Hornet coming in from the wide angle will penetrate the thick skull - it would deflect away.  This is false.

The ear canal is plausible - I could not make that shot because I am not familiar enough with a polar bear skull - I suppose if you grew up in a home that had one you would be keenly aware where that entrance was.  How you get a polar bear walking toward you to turn 90 degrees and present the ear canal to take a clear shot - not very likely - they will not take eyes off you once stalking.  Of the polar bears successfully killed with a small caliber gun - they were all trying to come into a building window and that made hitting the ear canal easier.

I am sure people have killed polar bears with a 30-30 and .32 - the question is how many rounds were fired?  There are guns you carry in the arctic for hunting - and much bigger ones when hunting bears.  These days, someone leaving home with a 30-30, 22 Hornet or .32 with bear hunting on their mind - if discovered by law enforcement would be sent packing home.  Last thing any town in the north needs is a wounded polar bear hanging around in 24/7 darkness.

On a side note.  When you win a permit for Kodiak Grizzly (smaller than a polar bear but DNA close enough to breed) The Kodiak Fish and Game sends you a sheet about how inadequate the 7mm Remington Magnum is on big bears.  7mmRemMag is at least 10x more powerful than 30-30 and leaps and bounds more than a 22 Hornet.     

Possible ? As in did it happen once ? 

Maybe.

You should turn him in because guns are banned now. They were banned December 1st. He has betrayed his country by breaking the law.

• Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

I’m not Joe. I don’t appreciate people going anonymous.

Hunting is BS in general. It’s a very dangerous and violent sport.Guns are dangerous.

.22 hornet used by inuit for seal hunting and anything else available. several incidents of .22 Hornet getting big game, dangerous game were stated when the 5.56 x45 round was being considered as a service round. Alaskan Game /dept Agriculture has a few records of the .22 being used on Polar bears by natives, meat was used by natives and hide was loopholed legal for resale. a posting of animal found the .22 bullets , no large caliber bullets or holes. .22 Hornet has been used by poachers since smokeless powder loads on deer- and a few black bears in southern USA/Florida. Not the best choice for casual hunter- but a good shot familiar with the cartridge, gun and knowing games vital points can use it effectively.  .

• L.N.

People killed bears with many different calibers, even muskets, arrows and spears, before modern metallic cartridges were invented. They just weren't as effective as modern ammunition and there is no good reason to use outdated cartridges when there are better choices today.

It's a strange world we live in, many things are possible, even probable. But just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do something. The old legend of 30WCF goes that more North American game animals have fallen to 30-30 than any other rifle cartridge. I feel certain that this is true, most likely because it was the most popular centerfire rifle cartridge available for many, many years. We've all heard the tales of poachers who used rifles in 22 short to ear shoot deer and elk when they poached. Sure it CAN be done, probably shouldn't be though. A good shot with a 22 Hornet probably could down a polar bear through the ear, or even throat shooting it enough times. Like I said, this is a strange world we live in, lots of things are possible.

Source(s): I'm really enjoying these questions, it's nice to have some actual hunting and ballistic related questions here again. The new yahoo email feature makes it easy to expose anonymous trolls now like Joe and Richard