My cat stopped using her litter box. What do I do?

I have no idea what happened. She was using it every day up until I went out of town last week. I cleaned it right before I left and she's only used it ONCE since then (it's been a whole week since I cleaned the box and the litter is still pretty clean). Now I find surprises either on my floor or on my bed every time I come home from work. What on earth should I do?

My cat is only about 10 months old.

• Maxi

You have a stressed/anxious cat... likely caused by leaving it alone and/or the person 'looking after' it didn't look after it

• PAMELA

Clean the smelly litter tray,they will not use a dirty one.

It is possible there is an underlying medical issue, but given the timing--I'd say this is a really neurotic cat...who is angry/upset you left.  I had this once happen when the cat sitter I hired never showed up --my cats let loose everywhere--but I did spoil them rotten and tell them how sorry I was--and you know generally assured them it would never happen again and they immediately stopped---so first I would start really snuggling with your cat-spoil her rotten and see if she doesn't stop.  try some feliway plug ins--make that pan super inviting and clean. maybe even buy some attractant litter for a bit.  if you didn't have someone stop in while you were away--make sure you always do from now on.  some cats are more insecure than others.

• Gary

SOunds like your cat did not like your leaving and is going in your bed out of spite