Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 2 months ago

If I owned a Lee Press with dies for .30-30, what would be the easiest/simplest/cheapest way to convert .30-30 brass to .32 Winchester Spec.?

Is that possible? Is that a simple operation, or does it require a lot of work?

All you have to do is to run the fired 30-30 cases thru the 32 Special die and treat them as 32 Special from then on.  Use plenty of case lube. 

Just remember that the head stamp will not reflect the correct cartridge.

It has been done, I have just never taken brass to larger diameters.

Came up with some cheap bulk  .250-3000 Savage case and necked that down to .224 for some of my reloading.

You will need the resizing dies for your press, I never found it much work, just an extra process for reloading.

Yes it can be done. I know people that have done it but I never have done it.

I am sure there are many books and articles on how to do it.  Good luck.

I run across a .32 Special for sale about every 5 years and somebody beats 

me to it. I have always wanted one but no luck so far.

It can be done, if you're going to use a Lee single stage press to do it make sure it's a D style press and not a C style press. The C press is not as strong as the D type is. I would recommend RCBS case lube since it's about the slickest there is and it doesn't require a lot. The rim thickness is different from 30-30 to 32 Winchester. 30-30 being the thicker one. If the bolt won't close on the formed brass it will most likely be because of the rim thickness. This can be worked around if you use pistol primers instead of rifle primers, enlarge the flash hole a couple thousandths and trim some rim thickness off the 30-30 brass. You'll need a lathe to do this if you want clean results. The other option is to go to Old Western Scrounger and pay 2-3 bucks each for 32 Win brass. 

Source(s): I know a guy in Texas with this exact same problem....

Weapons  are now banned. Seizing is going on until December 23rd.