Isn't anyone interested in antiques anymore?

I inherited my parent's house full of vintage items. I belong to a senior online chat room and thought they would be interested in seeing what I have and posted photos. I am getting negative feedback like "Stop posting your crap!" and "Who cares?" Why this negativity?

Favorite Answer

They dont sound very classy seniors you are talking to on line. Go to a consignment store or antique dealer and put your items on consignment. Stop looking on line and go to real places with real people. An appraiser might want to come to your house and give the value. He might want to buy some things.

Ignore the rude responders and just answer the polite ones.  Some sad souls get a kick out of being rude to other people.  It's called insecurity.

If you are intending, eventually, to sell then as suggested, get a reputable dealer in to give you a valuation.   If you just want to 'share' for now, I don't think many, if anybody, will be that interested I'd afraid.   There's no need not to be polite however - or why bother to comment at all!!

If you have true antiques, or things with a proven historical interest, that's one thing - if it's just basic brown furniture, I'm afraid there won't be a lot of interest, at auction or anywhere else really.    Things from specific trends (the 60s for eg.) may interest other people but otherwise I think you are wasting your time.

Apparently you should check who is sending you these messages. If it is only one or two people ignore them. If is most of the group may be you should indicate that you have a houseful of vintage items and if anyone is interested they could ask for pictures.

It eventually comes as a very sad realisation that some folks are only interested in the boring and dull practicalities of life. How they can exist for years and years with never being interested in the magic around them continually puzzles me.

No wondering at a thousand magical things, no eye for the beauty around them, no awareness of history, no wondering about how it happened.

Thats not living, its not even existing. Terrible.

• reme_1

You are probably getting negative feedback from younger folks who do not want "older" things. It is a shame. Also many people are downsizing their belongings.

• debodun1 month agoReport

It's supposed to be a chat room for seniors.

• Janet

Seniors are not interested in antiques. In fact, most of them are interested in getting RID of stuff rather than acquiring more stuff.

• A C

I am.  I love museums and antique shops. 

• A.J.

Antiques are typically over 100 years old and vintage is old but under 100 years.

Condition and rarity and collector's value determine their worth monetarily.

That stated, why should people be interested in old stuff that isn't their old stuff?

You aren't giving it away and is anything particularly valuable, or is it just old stuff?

Would you rather get rubber stamp responses "How nice!"?

Are you posting just for people to see, or are you asking about something you don't understand or know?

This is not different from the "How are you?" in the USA where it's only to start a conversation and not really interested. Unless there's some kind of personal connection, there really is no point.

Should I take photos of 40 year old clothing and post it because it's old? Not much point to do it because there's no response of substance.

• debodun1 month agoReport

Just posting to share the things I have. I am not trying to sell through that group.

• Tavy

No doubt because they have the same stuff at home as well.