Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysThanksgiving · 3 months ago

Everybody has turkey on Thanksgiving, so why is it tradition to turn around and have turkey again on Christmas!?

• Justin
    Favorite Answer

Some people do. Many have ham instead, or ham together with turkey. Others have a beautiful pot roast or brisket. Still others have a feast of various Italian foods, like pastas or some other more 'cultural' celebration. Some kind of 'roast beast' is traditional, however. 

We have to give the Grinch something to try and steal don't we?

• Lili

Not everyone has turkey on Thanksgiving -- I don't; I serve Cornish hens -- and not everyone has turkey on Christmas either. I have served beef tenderloin, goose, and duck instead.

Ho Ho Ho, because Turkey is holiday food.

• Snoopy

Not everyone celebrates thanksgiving. 

• reme_1

We like turkey. What can I say......

Goose is actually the "traditional" meat to have on Christmas.  Most people no longer hunt so it hasn't remained popular.  A lot of people now have ham.

Only Americans have turkey on Thanksgiving. No-one else has Thanksgiving. Turkey at Christmas has become traditional in much of the English speaking world but only in the last century. The preferred Christmas bird before that was goose, not turkey. Goose is, in fact, a better bird. Its meat is far more moist than the dry flesh of turkey and it has a better flavour. Turkeys are larger birds and are better for larger gatherings.

There is no reason to have turkey for Christmas. Try goose instead. (Collect the fat that melts off the goose during cooking and use it to roast potatoes. Nothing better!) This year, I'm having venison for Christmas, last year was a sucking pig.

Frozen left overs from Thanks Giving.

• Cathy

I never heard that it was. Turkey is traditional for Thanksgiving, but people have different things for Christmas. We usually had ham. I've even heard of families having things like lasagna every year.

I'll be getting tamales from the Cerritos Farmers' market, personally.

It's not, the tradition is to have Christmas Ham!!!!