Master asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 2 months ago

Would you recommend traveling to Japan by myself for my first time going?

I wanted to go there alone this summer to Tokyo for a week. My parents strongly advised not to go alone for a first time because I'd be unfamiliar with the area and cities. I asked friends if they wanted to come and none of them said yes. Would you recommend I travel alone or get some travel agent for my first time?.

Favorite Answer

Yes. I've been in Japan on my own, for work, and I had a fine time. Japan is very well-organized and efficient. Just read up before you go on things like how to get the train from the airport (you don't want to take a taxi- the airport is a long way from downtown Tokyo).  The subway system is easy. You get a map with the stops marked in English. Then in the subway station you match that to the map on the wall, which tells you what price ticket you need. Then you buy the ticket from a machine. 

In a restaurant where the menu is not in English, there are usually pictures of the food on the menu, and you can just point. If there are no pictures, there are usually plastic replicas of the food in the window outside- motion for the server to follow you outside, and point to what you want. And the convenience stores and grocery stores sell all kinds of things ready to eat. 

Be sure to go to Harajuku- preferably on a Sunday afternoon. 

I am a Japanese. Japan is very safe, so you can travel alone.

But, I recommend you to travel with someone. The custom of Japan is not same to the one of USA. If you confuse to the situation which you meet in the travel, your neigbour will think with you and will severally produce you some ideas.

If not, I recommend you to stay for few days in the hotel which is favour from foreign travellers, where you can exchange experiences each other.

http://www.sawanoya.com/eigo.html

https://unplan.jp/?lang=ja

I wouldn't want to go to Japan either. gross food.... and your parents are always right. common sense here. just either don't go or wait for someone to agree with you dragging them along.

• Bob

What a stupid and opinionated answer.

yes. 100% safe. Go, enjoy. Have fun. Happy Vacations.