What am I liable for as POA? I'm worried people will harass me for money from my grandfather. ?

I have been POA for several people and was never harassed for money. If someone tries to coerce you into stealing money from your grandfather, you tell them that you will not commit fraud or go to jail in a conspiracy to steal from someone who trusts you. End of discussion. Period...

If you are talking about his creditors, you are not obligated to pay anyone anything unless your grandfather is incapacitated and, as his agent, you take responsibility to take care of his financial affairs.

• xyzzy

Most POA don't give you access to the grantors money. Although a power of attorney grants the agent powers to perform acts in the absence of the grantor, the POA cannot grant powers to the agent that conflict with rules and regulations governing people and companies that the agent deals with. For example, if a bank has regulations that require the grantor to be physically present in the bank to perform certain actions, the POA cannot grant the agent power to perform those actions in the absence of the grantor.

You are your GF's fiduciary. Look it up. But that does not make you personally liable for his debts. You may need to get some real legal advice from an attorney.

READ the POA.  There are many different kinds and each one is custom.  How the heck are we supposed to know what yours allows/requires you to do?  If you don't understand what you signed, then consult a lawyer, who can explain it to you.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
    • Benjamin2 months agoReport

Thanks for the rude response to someone struggling with this 👍

Having a notary witness a signature doesn't change your responsibilities which the other posters have answered here.

• Benjamin2 months agoReport

Okay so that would be pointless? I'd still be safe to stay POA without being paranoid?

You are legally responsible for managing his affairs.

If there is any mismanagement you can be criminally charged.

• Eva

There is no liability to being a POA. It doesn't make you responsible for his debts. If you are handling his financial affairs, you do have a responsibility to handle them in a responsible manner and pay the necessary bills as his funds will allow. Once your grandfather dies, your POA becomes invalid and the executor or administrator of his estate takes over.

• Tavy

You are not liable for anything. You have the legal right to Manage your grandfathers affairs. If he has no money then creditors can't be paid.

All I can say is when I had a family member pass another family member was harassed for money the passed family member owed. She inherited everything from the family member including the credit card bills or that is what the harassing calls claimed. She's still dealing with this now.

• Morningfox

It might legally clear the issues for YOU. Or it might not ... you're still responsible for any actions you took (or failed to do) while you were POA. It doesn't clear the issues for your grandfather.

• PAMELA

See a lawyer to get ways to protect yourself.

• Benjamin2 months agoReport

I would if I could afford that :(