What is the best lens for general photography for Sony Alpha a6000?

My son and daughter-in-law have a baby who is just starting to crawl.  They will be taking lots of pictures of him, both indoors and outdoors.  They have a Sony Alpha a6000 that came with a 16-50mm and a 55-210mm.  Is there another lens that I should buy for them that would be best for this type of general photography?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Honestly I would buy them something the baby needs, the parents should be doing fine with what they have at hand, lens wise.

• Login to reply the answers
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Those two lenses are it already but I guess you want something that you can use indoors without flash. Consider a 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 depending on your budget. It's not really for general use. It's good for portraits, the type of shots they'll be doing with the baby. For everything else, there's those two lenses they have already.

As for how to use those lenses, see this.

https://keerok.wordpress.com/2014/12/17/what-is-th...

• Frank
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The 16-50mm will probably be their "go to" lens because its focal length is wide and telephoto.  The 55-210 is often too strong.

Another popular lens is something like a 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 -  This is a great portrait lens because of it's fast/wide aperture which will allow them to create shots with really nice blurred out backgrounds.  Their 16-50mm (at 50mm) is a f/5.6 lens.  Shooting at f/1.8 is going to produce a substantially different looking image; one that they're likely to prefer.

An alternative to the 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 is the 35mm f/1.8.  The 35mm is a wider lens to get a full-length shot of baby when in close.  The 50mm is more of a heads-and-shoulders type of lens.  There are 35mm options that are stabilized which makes taking indoor shots hand held and without a flash possible.  There are no stabilized 50mm lenses.  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1461760-REG...

Other than that, the 16-50mm and a fast lens is all they're likely to ever use until baby grows up and starts running around, but that's when the 55-210 will be used.

• qrk
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Unless they are knowledgeable photographers, a new lens won't make much difference to them. The 16-50 lens will work fine for most of the shots they will be taking of the child.

The Sony E PZ 18-105mm f/4 ($600) gets good reviews and will have better optical quality than the 16-50mm (noticeable if you're trained to look for quality differences). It has a better zoom range that is really convenient for general shooting which they will be doing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.