Anonymous

What job could someone get with an associates in English degree with 20 years experience at New York daily news? ?

This question isn’t for me, it’s for my mom. I’m under 18 so I’m not sure about much relating to this but I’m trying to help her out the best I can. She has an associates degree in English and worked at the New York daily news for 20 years in sales until being laid off. What are her options? She’s been struggling to find a job. Should she go through a job recruiter? 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Alex
    Lv 6
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

There are a lot of jobs that just require 'a degree' because they are niche and there isn't a specific degree that corresponds to it.  Recruiters are a great place to go to find them.  Just stay away from the ones that expect her to pay a fee.

On a side note, she'll want to start upgrading her skills, ASAP.  There are lots of online resources that can be accessed for free.  For example, since she has sales experience, if she starts learning about software and technology, then maybe try to get in with the sales department of a technology company.  That's just an example but should give an illustration of what I'm talking about.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

At least it's not the NY times. The best she could hope for then would be a janitor.  

• 2 months ago

She needs to look for other sales positions...a recruiter might help.  

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

We use job recruiters all the time in the UK, what do you Americans find so strange about it.

She should have gone in the first week.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Retail

Fast food

Daycare worker / teachers side

Office cleaning/ janitorial services

Gas station attendant

• 2 months ago

janitorial service, gutting grass, factory work,

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I'm sure she  is collecting unemployment ...NY department of labor & unemployment has plenty resources she should look there.

• 2 months ago

Your mom's associate's degree is meaningless for her career.

She needs to be looking at general sales positions.  Like AAA might have some positions for her. 

• 2 months ago

Other sales jobs that don’t require a college degree. If she’s running into that wall, she should look into scholarships and returning to school for a BA/BS. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.