Can I drive in Norway with a GB License?

I am learning how to drive but would also like to drive in Norway. How would I go about doing this? Would I have to ask my instructor or would I just be able to when I pass my test?

Favorite Answer

You can drive in any country in the world on a FULL licence from any other country. You cannot drive in any country unless insured. Your insurance will not cover you to drive abroad on a Provisional licence. Most insurance companies will not cover you to drive abroad until you've held your FULL licence for at least a year.

• May

You will need a full, valid GB license to drive legally in Norway.

A learning permit will not suffice.

Your full licence (note correct British English spelling) is valid in all European countries, and most others worldwide.

But your provisional licence isn’t valid anywhere outside the UK. 

However it would be very unwise to immediately drive in a left-hand drive country until you have consolidated your driving skills with at least a year of daily UK driving in all weather conditions. You might also find that your insurer might refuse a “green card” insurance extension (post-Brexit) to any newly-qualified driver, and may have specific policy restrictions which apply to foreign driving pre-Brexit. For the same reasons, many car hire companies will also not allow vehicle rentals to newly-qualified drivers, and certainly not in the UK and Europe to drivers under the age of at least 24 years (many demand a minimum age of 25).

• Dimo

Once you get UK driver license, it will be accepted pretty near worldwide, as a tourist.