Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 2 months ago

If you won five million dollars in the lottery after taxes would you quit your job or would you continue to work ??

I would put them in the bank, it should give me a good percentage monthly and I'll quit university and spend whole day training in the boxing gym. Then afternoon spend my time with my girlfriend and play video games.

I'll be set for life but when I'm old, if I need to work i would find an easy job.

I'm resigned now however had I won 5 million dollars I would have left my place of employment and afterward have worked some place where I would have made the most of my activity - and not need to stress over making a ton of cash to meet costs. On the off chance that an individual isn't of retirement age, I think it is smarter to work and contribute.

I love to knit. Possibly I would have made sewing my activity - perhaps open a wonderful knitting store with classes.

Well, I just accepted a new position that I committed to staying with for a couple of years at a very nice payment so I would honor that.  A month ago if I had won the lottery and before I was looking for work, i would be out of my job with 2 weeks notice.

I would continue doing exactly what I am doing now, but I might start planning a trip in the near future - another one.

I would continue to work at least for a while. I'd invest about 1-2 million of that in real estate. Either by purchasing several houses or possibly a small multi-family unit such as a duplex or apartment building. I'd manage those properties with some of them being rented out to long term tenants and would set up some of them for short term vacation rentals through sites such as airBnB.

Once I had that set up and producing regular income I'd take a look at where I was at financially and I'd look into other businesses to start.

I would continue to work. 

Donnie Porko is right.   5 mil really isn't a ton of money.   Pretty much anyone in my generation is going to need that to retire securely at the proper retirement age.  

Studies have shown that most lottery winners end up broke or bankrupt because they become stupid with their money and spending.  They also often end up divorced, in family feuds and generally miserable.    Sad. 

Work. 5 million isn’t all that much. 

• P

Probably work a reduced schedule or until I got let go for whatever reason.    You can roughly calculate each million is equivalent to an average investment earnings of around $50k a year. Which makes it worth around $250k in yearly income depending how much if it you spend.    Having to pay for your own family health insurance would take a significant bite out of that.

• y

I would change what I do, gear more towards work that focuses on helping others.