when is the best time to take a insulin shot before meals or after?

Before for fast acting insulin. You need to have some idea of what you are going to eat and how many grams of carbohydrate you will be eating. If there is a lot of fat, you need to take more insulin. If you're insulin resistant, either type 1 or type 2 diabetic. It is not fatal if you take the insulin after eating g. I recently did that and I took too much insulin. I am NOT insulin resistant. Ive been a type 1 diabetic for over 64 Yeats and counting. I also take long acting insulin

EVERY diabetic is different. What works for one diabetic may be dangerous for another type diabetic. .A 1/2 unit of fast acting insulin can make a big difference for me. Type 1 diabetics can be insulin resistant.

Before, ma'am.  It takes time for the insulin to start working.

Unfortunately, you don't indicate which specific type of insulin it is that you're taking so it's difficult to say how much time before eating you should inject.  (Some insulins work more quickly than others.)

Edit:

The table on the following webpage will help you to better understand why insulin is taken BEFORE meals.

The ONLY time you wouldn't inject prior to eating is if your blood sugar (glucose) level was low before eating.  You do check your blood sugar level before eating, don't you?

Ask your doctor. Know Diabetes I sufferers, that inject before, those that inject after and those that were ordered to do both.

Peace.

Usually before. But you should really ask your doctor.