Olivia asked in PetsBirds · 2 months ago

Is it easier to tame a pet bird on its own or better to have a pair? ?

I've been seriously contemplating about bringing a pet bird into my life for a while now. But I'm stumped on whether I ought to adopt one bird first and then get him/her a friend later, or just start out with a pair. 

I'm not totally sure what breed to go for. I've been recommended budgies, cockatiels and finches as starter birds (since I've never had a pet bird, besides chickens).

Favorite Answer

Definitely get one bird.  It will bond to you.  If you get two birds they will bond to each other.  My first choice would be a cockatiel and my second choice would be a budgie.

Finches are nearly impossible to tame and thrive when kept in pairs or more.  They are lively little birds and do not have loud voices like some larger birds, especially parrots and cockatoos which are known to screech and scream very loudly for hours on end.

• thebax2006
      1 month agoReport

Cockatiel's are better as male and female pairs. If you want a bird that will bond to you and be great buddies a Cockatoo or a Blue and Gold Macaw are best.

On it's own. That way it will bond to you and interact with you more friendly. When 2 birds bond all you can do is look at them and feed them.

• Raven

It's much, much easier to hand tame a bird if it is alone. You should also clip the wings so the bird cannot fly, which speed the taming process. However, do not clip the wings of finches, canaries, etc. Only parrot type birds, hookbills.

• Olivia2 months agoReport

Thanks for answering my question! 😁I'll definitely keep in mind on clipping parrots or hookbills when necessary. 

I won't do this permanently, as this is just for the intinial taming.