Why does my M1 Garand immediately attempt to lock into battery without release?

Despite many examples to the contrary; I have noticed that my M1 Garand bolt will attempt to lock into battery (the moment I load full clip) without waiting for me to release pressure. Not only does it cause a higher risk of Garand thumb... but I have noticed that not all of these rifles seem to operate in this manner as demonstrated by many Garand experts. It seems to be a topic of huge debate but I have watched a few of these rifles wait for release after the follower has been completely compressed into the magazine. Is this something wrong with my rifle? Is it simply built differently? Or am I doing something wrong?

Why?  Because that's the way it was designed.

It is suppose to have the bolt go forward as soon as the block clip is inserted. If you load with your right hand, thumb on the block clip and the base/ring finger of the hand straight and down, you can slow the bolt so you have time to get your thumb out of there.

Your Garand, once the en bloc clip is fully seated, will indeed jump into battery (bolt is released), and M-1 thumb is a possibility. Been shooting Garands for decades, and never once had one whack my thumb. I was taught well by experts in competitive shooting.

Ask for a new one for Christmas then. Christmas is in 3 weeks.

• ugiidriver

A Garand under the Christmas tree is the best gift you have ever recommended.

Here you go, a demonstration of what Bean mentioned:

https://www.guns.com/news/2018/08/17/explaining-th...

• BBean

You`re not doing it right. The loaded clip releases the bolt but the bolt handle is supposed to be held back with the "knife edge" or Karate chop position of your hand while pushing down with right thumb. "M 1 thumb" is rare when people pay attention in class.

What you may be thinking when the bolt is held back with empty chamber and receiver during rifle inspection drill. Then with a little back pressure applied to the bolt handle and follower is pushed down with same hand thumb the bolt goes home when hand is removed slightly in time with the thumb. 

• Staap It

BBEAN has the best explanation. Follow his wise words, and you have learned. OH, and congratulations on owning a rifle that if you learn well will shock  you how sweet it is. < AND very powerful. TU Sir

I am not totally sure