Do Sony BRAVIA TVs come with a GPU assisting system when used as monitor for gaming PC?

I don't remember the model number but whenever I used my 1080p BRAVIA TV as monitor via GPU HDMI port, I'd reduce the resolution of most games down to 1280x720 and it would still look 1080p. Playing on a VGA monitor (max resolution being 1440x900), the games would show pixelated brittle borders unless the highest resolution was used. It's almost as if my TV puts an anti-aliasing effect by itself.

No, a TV or a monitor are just dumb viewing devices, they don't do anything more than display stuff on the screen. It's upto the sending device to have a GPU to process the video signal before sending it. Now, there is a processor onboard for processing the HDMI signals, as those are compressed before sending to the cable, and decompressed after receiving from cable. However, that's not a GPU, that's just a specialized single function chip, solely dedicated to the one function of processing HDMI signals.

Now, the newer generation of smart TV's which can run apps, may have a processor with  a GPU onboard, but that's simply for the use of the internal apps, and they don't use that for any post-processing of any other signal coming from the outside, such as from a PC. Behind every smart TV is a regular dumb TV. The smart TV is just a separate little module that acts like a built-in settop box, and it still sends its signals to the dumb TV behind the scenes.

• Dave

Nope. It's just so much larger you can't tell.