Is a booster necessary on a fixed barrel rifle?

Is a Nielsen device needed on a suppressed weapon with a stationary 16in barrel, like a carbine?

No, a booster is not necessary.

I don't think a fixed barrel needs the device and I have never seen it used on a fixed barrel.

I own 4 suppressors and 20+ firearms they go to.  It's impossible to answer your question without having more specifics. Neilson thingies - I have been around tons of suppressors and never handled a firearm with one installed.....so, don't take what I say as gospel. 

16" carbine.  You would never need a recoil generator when firing a rifle that was made for normally subsonic ammunition like 45acp, 300 Blackout, etc.  Here it does not matter because your standard 230gr round in 45 or 220-240grain in B/O is just 990fps, well below the 1080fps that generates a ballistic crack.  Thread on the suppressor and have a nice quiet day of shooting.

It's when you take a semi-auto 308win designed for 168gr at 2890 fps and ask it to cycle with a 240gr 990fps bullet with no changes to the rifle.  Here there be dragons - cycle issues.  Yeah, you could lighten up the recoil spring - but when you go from subsonic to factory it will slam the crap out of the gun and failure is not far away.  This is where a Neilson device comes into play - its an 'anti-muzzle brake'.  Neilson thingies are uncommon - you about never see them, first because they add unwanted length to an already long weapon + suppressor combination, second, they add another point of failure.

The only time you might encounter one of these - will be a military force that has a huge number of one particular standardized model pistol and needs only a small handful for suppressed use....usually for nuisance pests that keep tripping the facility perimeter alarm.  Instead of having specially tricked out guns that look like all the rest, but,would get ruined by firing normal ammo - or having non-standard pistols in the armory - you add one of these devices to make them work with the lighter powered subsonic ammo in all your pistols.

Most people who own a suppressor - buy a pistol specifically for suppressed shooting.  Saves a ton of frustration instead of working to make a pistol that hates suppressors work with one.  

There is more to this than be typed here.    

• Gary2 months agoReport

"...don't take what I say as gospel..."

We don't. Everyone knows you're a liar.

I vote not really for a fixed barrel. Why? Not necessary as on a semi auto pistol that the barrel kicks up. The whole concept is to temporarily decouple the protruding weight during recoil and reconnect before next shot. Something to think about though. I had rather see my money go for a lighter material for the extra length which usually ends up with titanium being the chosen material. Titanium handles the heat and oxidation factor as well. This is why I wouldn't choose one.

• BBean

I vote no for a fixed barrel. Why? Not necessary as on a semi auto pistol that the barrel kicks up. The whole concept is to temporarily decouple the protruding weight during recoil and reconnect before next shot. Something to think about though. I had rather see my money go for a lighter material for the extra length which usually ends up with titanium being the chosen material. Titanium handles the heat and oxidation factor as well.IMHO>